Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Softail Standard FXSTI

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 AM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear about your gas experiences.
Post your questions to the forum before you make an appointment with any shop- there's always a few people on the forum who gave had the same problem and can share their experiences with you and guide you to a less expensive solution.
Can you wrench? If you can, get a service manual and start doing your own work. Get yourself a tuner from someone like Fuelmoto- it will be an enormous help getting your bike properly tuned and keeping it that way.
You bought yourself a beautiful bike. We're all here to help you keep it running right.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:13 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by amkaos
I think you should get to a point where you find a good indie.. Sounds like your dealer is not your friend
Some think they work for you. They dont... They work for the stealer LOL.

An open end exhaust will increase volume which will result in mpg loss.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:55 PM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

His post states that the exhaust is the only mod. If he doesn't have a "stage 1" air cleaner under that football cover the flow is unbalanced and not only will he continue to get bad gas mileage, The bike will also suffer from poor performance. A balanced flow=more efficiency=more horsepower. We all want more horsepower.
Rejet the carburetor- there are plenty of instructions and videos online that will make it easy for you. Check your choke to make sure it isn't sticking, put in a new fuel filter, and put in new plugs (and make sure the gap is correct). Are there baffles in the pipes? If there are and they're damaged that will effect your gas mileage as well. When it comes to your engine it's all about flow. Get yourself a high flow K&N filter and a screamin eagle air cleaner backplate to supply your carb with the air it needs. The heavy breather air cleaners look BA, but they really are overkill for your bike until you get into a cam and head work.
Come back and give us your questions, glad to help. I hate the stealer, and many indie shops aren't much better. There is a wealth of experience here on the forums. Check the technical forums for info and help to.
Peace, live long and prosper, and may the force be with you.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:46 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Well stated. The force is strong within ya

Old 03-27-2016, 02:59 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I was not trying to bash ednigma, and I'm sorry if it came across as such. If he can and is willing to wrench on is beautiful bike, he should. And please come in here for help or what maybe the seemingly dumbest of questions. As stated above, we're here to help if possible.

The following users liked this post:
ednigma (03-30-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:14 AM
ednigma
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

not feeling bashed. Got my bike back from the shop. Haven't had the chance to ride. Its a rainy Friday. Hopefully this weekend. Hoping the gas mileage has gotten a lot better. I know they did not change the air filter, luckily I bought a K&N filter and put it on the bike.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:38 AM
ednigma
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Checked the codes on the Fuelpak. IT was tuned to the python 2 into 1 pipe W/ baffle. My pipe does not have the baffle.
I emailed them to get the codes for that pipe with out the baffle. Hopefully that helps a bit more. Other than that I have no clue.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:10 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,253 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I'd find a competent Indie mech in your area (there has to be one). My 02 FXST has been the best performing of all the Harley's I've owned. It's a carburated bike with many mods but it's dialed in right as rain. Once your there you should be good to go.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:49 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ednigma
Checked the codes on the Fuelpak. IT was tuned to the python 2 into 1 pipe W/ baffle. My pipe does not have the baffle.
I emailed them to get the codes for that pipe with out the baffle. Hopefully that helps a bit more. Other than that I have no clue.
Honestly, don't expect more than 32mpg in most riding conditions... If you really want to test you range of fuel consumption, plan a long non stop ride.
I bet that with a fresh full tank you'll get close to 250mi before the "low range" light will show

Old 04-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Honestly, don't expect more than 32mpg in most riding conditions... If you really want to test you range of fuel consumption, plan a long non stop ride.
I bet that with a fresh full tank you'll get close to 250mi before the "low range" light will show
250 miles???? No way. Don't get his hopes up! I go 170 and put in about 4.2 or so, around 38 mpg. If I ride slow, 50-60 on back roads, I'll get 45 to 48.

Enigma, if you have no baffles in your pipe, you're losing a lot of mid range and that will hurt your mileage if you cruise at 55 or so, the spot where you lose mose of the torque due to reversion. Either get a baffle, or you can use the lollipop trick.

Here is a great video by S&S that explains why. Definitely worth the watch.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...confirmed.html

A "stage 1" air cleaner is not going to make a difference, your air cleaner is not a restriction with your mods. Here are some dyno sheets showing the minimal difference between stock and "stage 1".

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...aner-only.html

Quick Reply: 2005 Softail Standard FXSTI