Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Softail Standard FXSTI

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 04:43 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

that was slightly inflated estimates. But possible if he does a constant 55mph

Old 04-04-2016, 10:35 AM
ednigma
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
I'd find a competent Indie mech in your area (there has to be one). My 02 FXST has been the best performing of all the Harley's I've owned. It's a carburated bike with many mods but it's dialed in right as rain. Once your there you should be good to go.
kinda wishing mine was carbed.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:56 AM
ednigma
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Joe_G
250 miles???? No way. Don't get his hopes up! I go 170 and put in about 4.2 or so, around 38 mpg. If I ride slow, 50-60 on back roads, I'll get 45 to 48.

Enigma, if you have no baffles in your pipe, you're losing a lot of mid range and that will hurt your mileage if you cruise at 55 or so, the spot where you lose mose of the torque due to reversion. Either get a baffle, or you can use the lollipop trick.

Here is a great video by S&S that explains why. Definitely worth the watch.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...confirmed.html

A "stage 1" air cleaner is not going to make a difference, your air cleaner is not a restriction with your mods. Here are some dyno sheets showing the minimal difference between stock and "stage 1".

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...aner-only.html
Thanks Joe_G. I will give the screw a try.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Enigma, do you have a baffle? If so, the screw may not be needed. But for $1 or less if you have a spare one hanging around, it's certainly cheap and easy to try. I was amazed what a difference it made in my bike.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:04 PM
ednigma
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Enigma, do you have a baffle? If so, the screw may not be needed. But for $1 or less if you have a spare one hanging around, it's certainly cheap and easy to try. I was amazed what a difference it made in my bike.
No Baffle. I'm goin to try the screw. If it doesn't help much I will just buy the baffle and install it. Waiting on the new fuelpak codes from them, if Its not much of a difference baffle is the only fix I can think of. But trying the screw today. Thanks

Old 04-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ednigma
No Baffle. I'm goin to try the screw. If it doesn't help much I will just buy the baffle and install it. Waiting on the new fuelpak codes from them, if Its not much of a difference baffle is the only fix I can think of. But trying the screw today. Thanks
In my experience the fueling change only stopped the popping on decel and reduced my fuel mileage. The thumbscrew worked great to give me back the torque lost. Remember what the guy from S&S said, adjusting fueling to fix an exhaust problem is like using a arm sling to fix a broken leg or something like that.

Be sure and get a thumbscrew long enough to stick into the center of the exhaust, I used a locknut to space mine in the middle.

I should note that you have a 2 into 1 so I would think the reversion wouldn't be so much of an issue on your bike, but I suppose we shall see.

Let us know how you make out or post over in the thumbscrew thread.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:14 PM
GarageJockey
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice looking bike. My 88 will get 50 mpg with easy riding.

What does the plugs look like? This will give some insight about what is going on in there.

Later

Old 04-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GarageJockey
Nice looking bike. My 88 will get 50 mpg with easy riding.

What does the plugs look like? This will give some insight about what is going on in there.

Later
Carb or fuel injected?

When you say easy riding, do you mean 50-60 mph on back roads, not the highway?

I get around 36-37 highway and 43-44 on backroads with my fuel injected bike, just checked my logs. I get better, 45-48 on my buddy's identical 03 twin cam except he has a carb vs my fuel injection.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:30 PM
GarageJockey
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine is FI and the first time i checked it we rode 55~65 on mainly "non hilly" 2 lane roads and got 49 mpg. This was before i did any tune up work to the bike and this is on 93 octane as well.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:49 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,253 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I like those flames, is that a factory paint scheme or done later? They look the way flames should look (imho) not like the flames on the new dynas sorta cheapo and an after thought.

Quick Reply: 2005 Softail Standard FXSTI