Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FB Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 08:15 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I bought an Ultimate seat for my Fat Boy after advice from here. So glad I did it, I also got the backrest. I can do 400 miles plus days without too much tailbone ache and can go an hour and a half to 2 hours before needing a 5 minute break. The original Fat Boy seat caused pain within 20 minutes.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:56 PM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I went from stock bars to 12" Wild 1 chubby bars. I measured for 14" but the positioning of my arms for that height bar made my back worse. Going to the 12s I got rid of the burning sensation in the middle of my upper back and the neck strain.I loved my Mustang vintage wide seat and jfvI didn't Mustang would have given me a full refund. I als bought the back rest and passenger pillion and my passengers were very comfortable. Corbin doesn't offer a refund because each seat is custom stitched and padded. I took the gamble and am very happy. If I wasn't happy Corbin is willing to rework the seat- for an additional charge plus shipping both ways.
I've tried lots of different grips. I suggest you go to the local dealer and give them all a feel. Get on some used bikes at some dealers and find people who are willing to let you jump in the saddle on their bike on check out their combination of components and you might discover the perfect arrangement for you. I've come back to Kuryakyn ISO grips several times because I find them really comfortable. Grip size can make a difference as well. Having to squeeze or tensing up on the wrong grip will create tension that travels from your hands all the way up to your upper back.
This is something most people go through when they care enough to make sure they get the best riding experience- because your comfort has a direct correlation to your riding safely. You shouldn't ride distracted by discomfort.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:49 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

since having diabetes i have tingly fingers and when they get cold i lose more grip. i've tried kuryakyn grips but they're big for my gripless hands to hold. for 3 years iv'e been using arlen ness fusion grips. they're knurled rubber. I have found that using such a big grips like the kury's cause me to need a palm rest, i don't need one for these grips, ever.

Attached Thumbnails FB Comfort-20160328_174440.jpeg  
Old 03-28-2016, 09:12 PM
jbfb
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I have the Mustang Sport Touring Solo with driver backrest on my 14 Fat. As someone said, seats are a very individual item and opinions will vary GREATLY. Having said that I'm very very happy with my seat, BUT MOST OF ALL, I'm VERY VERY VERY happy I got the one with the backrest. It has made all the difference in comfort, especially on long rides. Whatever kind of seat you lean toward I would highly recommend considering something with a backrest if you're looking for back relief.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:23 PM
Number 6
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll throw my support behind the ultimate seat w/backrest,
I've had two of them.

The Mustang is almost as good, but usually needs breaking in.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:11 AM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's all subjective. Just start finding people who will let you try theirs before you commit to something you can't return.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:31 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,384 Likes on 6,278 Posts

Originally Posted by ctwith3
It's all subjective. Just start finding people who will let you try theirs before you commit to something you can't return.
Are we talking about wives? LMAO

Old 03-29-2016, 05:54 AM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Good advice all around. But in looking at your pics, it appears to me that your not having to reach very far to get the hand grips, your just placing your hands up and probably your elbows are bent and just hang there. One of the cheapest (and I mean $0.00 cheap) would be to loosen your riser clamp and push your bars forward some. Having had 18" apes in the past, I found that having the bars forward of the forks forced me to reach a little and straighten my elbows, it would keep my back straighter and sat me more upright, which should provide more comfort and relieve the stress on your back and shoulders (and make the bike look a bit more aggressive in the process). You could also try to purchase a used Heritage seat and save a bit of $$$ before dropping a chunk on mods, I found that the stock Heritage seat is built with a little bit of height already built into it, which will also contribute to the comfort factor. Now, if that doesn't work, then you lose $50 or so on the used seat, but it might be worth it if it DID work out. I've included a couple of pics of my 2004, not sure if you can see difference in the seat but when I went two up with the stock seat there was a noticeable difference.

Heritage Right Front Angle

Heritage Left 2

Last edited by BlessedHellride; 03-29-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:56 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

The only way to truly get comfortable on longer rides is more saddle time to build up endurance.

Spend your money on gas, not quick fixes.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:17 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Good advice all around. But in looking at your pics, it appears to me that your not having to reach very far to get the hand grips, your just placing your hands up and probably your elbows are bent and just hang there. One of the cheapest (and I mean $0.00 cheap) would be to loosen your riser clamp and push your bars forward some. Having had 18" apes in the past, I found that having the bars forward of the forks forced me to reach a little and straighten my elbows, it would keep my back straighter and sat me more upright, which should provide more comfort and relieve the stress on your back and shoulders (and make the bike look a bit more aggressive in the process). You could also try to purchase a used Heritage seat and save a bit of $$$ before dropping a chunk on mods, I found that the stock Heritage seat is built with a little bit of height already built into it, which will also contribute to the comfort factor. Now, if that doesn't work, then you lose $50 or so on the used seat, but it might be worth it if it DID work out. I've included a couple of pics of my 2004, not sure if you can see difference in the seat but when I went two up with the stock seat there was a noticeable difference.

Heritage Right Front Angle

Heritage Left 2
This was my first thought when I saw your bike, handlebars are too far back. Here's a pic of my bike with 16's and a stock solo seat and im only 5'7". I've ridden over 300 miles without any discomfort and more than that with the wife and stock 2 up seat and mines a 1996. I do have air ride and im sure that helps but like Blessed advised, if you haven't already try to adjust the bars forward a bit.