Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FB Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 11:12 PM
mjrod
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FB Comfort

I need some suggestions. I have a 05 FB, lowered 2 inches front and back. I had the seat redone, but may have to send it to Mean City Cycles or buy a Mustang seat. On rides in excess of 200 miles my shoulders and back start getting beat up. I thought about an Ultra, but it is hard to let go of the FB. No I cannot keep both. I got a 1000 mile run coming up. What can I do to make the FB more comfortable? Also looking at these saddle bags, but before I keep putting money into this, I need to address the comfort issues.
Thanks,

http://saddlebags.net/product/buffal...wn-style-e-39/

Attached Thumbnails FB Comfort-img_20160219_222747.jpg   FB Comfort-img_20160219_222934-animation.gif  
Old 03-26-2016, 11:51 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,223 Likes on 6,229 Posts

First of all, lowering it was a mistake because you reduced the suspension travel. You need to return to stock height and get Works Performance Light Duty shocks on it. Next, spend some time adjusting them. I got my Heritage set a little on the tall side which improved handling immensely.

For the forks, Progressive Springs at stock height and experiment with volume of oil as well as viscosity. Different people have different preferences, so that is something you are going to need to figure out yourself, but you need to be stock height, not lower.

Your apes are too tall. I am in pain looking at them in relation to the other dimensions and set up of other parts of your bike.

You should go to a 12" to 14" instead, depending on how long your torso and arms are. Stock Heritage Softail Classic handlebars work great for most people and can be had cheap. After they are installed, experiment with how far forward or rearward they are positioned. A small adjustment will make a big difference in comfort.

A cheap way to address the seat problem is to go with a stock seat from a Heritage Softail Classic of roughly the same year as your Fat Boy. They can be had for cheap on eBay and elsewhere. Your current seat shape is all about styling with no regard for ergonomics. The stock Heritage seat is actually pretty good and the price is so low that it can be reupholstered for a custom look if you want.

After all that is done, if problems persist, they make kits to reposition the floorboards however they need to be.

Also, do yourself a favor and get Avon grips. Sometimes grips that are too big or too small will cause you to tense up leading to fatigue.

My back and shoulders hurt just looking at the pictures you posted of your bike. I can't imagine riding it.

Last edited by Prot; 03-26-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:17 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

Try Ultimate seats, your butt will love you for it!

Attached Thumbnails FB Comfort-20160228_125606.jpeg  
Old 03-27-2016, 06:09 AM
mjrod
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. That is less expensive than another bike.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:28 AM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Get your bike up to OEM height. Buy yourself a really good seat, I've had a Mustang seat I lived on my previous bike, and I have a Corbin seat that was made for my needs.
Change your handlebars. Changing your seat and bars is a must to get the right comfort for your needs, just like most of us did. Next thing to do is improve your suspension, but that is a whole other thread.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:04 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ctwith3
Get your bike up to OEM height. Buy yourself a really good seat, I've had a Mustang seat I lived on my previous bike, and I have a Corbin seat that was made for my needs.
Change your handlebars. Changing your seat and bars is a must to get the right comfort for your needs, just like most of us did. Next thing to do is improve your suspension, but that is a whole other thread.
love that color!

Old 03-27-2016, 01:36 PM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
First of all, lowering it was a mistake because you reduced the suspension travel. You need to return to stock height and get Works Performance Light Duty shocks on it. Next, spend some time adjusting them. I got my Heritage set a little on the tall side which improved handling immensely.

For the forks, Progressive Springs at stock height and experiment with volume of oil as well as viscosity. Different people have different preferences, so that is something you are going to need to figure out yourself, but you need to be stock height, not lower.

Your apes are too tall. I am in pain looking at them in relation to the other dimensions and set up of other parts of your bike.

You should go to a 12" to 14" instead, depending on how long your torso and arms are. Stock Heritage Softail Classic handlebars work great for most people and can be had cheap. After they are installed, experiment with how far forward or rearward they are positioned. A small adjustment will make a big difference in comfort.

A cheap way to address the seat problem is to go with a stock seat from a Heritage Softail Classic of roughly the same year as your Fat Boy. They can be had for cheap on eBay and elsewhere. Your current seat shape is all about styling with no regard for ergonomics. The stock Heritage seat is actually pretty good and the price is so low that it can be reupholstered for a custom look if you want.

After all that is done, if problems persist, they make kits to reposition the floorboards however they need to be.

Also, do yourself a favor and get Avon grips. Sometimes grips that are too big or too small will cause you to tense up leading to fatigue.

My back and shoulders hurt just looking at the pictures you posted of your bike. I can't imagine riding it.
+1 on everything he said and I agree..... those apes make my shoulders and back sore just thinking about a long ride. I went with 14's on my bike and if I could do it again for comfort I would throw on the 12" Carlinis.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:12 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak Show
Try Ultimate seats, your butt will love you for it!
Seats are a very individual thing, but I'm with Freak on the Ultimate Seat. I have the Ultimate Backrest Seat on my 2015 Fat Boy, and the difference is total. The back support absolutely makes the ride, and I'll always have one of these on my bike.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

just looking at your seat, you're sitting on it, you need to be sitting in one. with my ultimate i feel as though i'm sitting in the bike instead of ontop of it.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:49 PM
Truble
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot

My thoughts exactly ^^^^

Quick Reply: FB Comfort