Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt drive is on!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Belt drive is on!

So I've been wanting to do this for a while,and I finally got it on.BDL Evo-8 2 3/4",with 3Guyz chain drive conversion.Took a few days to get it done due to me being **** about the install to hopefully avoid any problems later.Also did some powdering on the motor plate,and brake rotor.Anyway here she is....

I posted this from my phone because Photobucket is fighting me on the iPad Hopefully its not jacked up.

Last edited by Daddy454; 04-02-2016 at 06:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Daddy454:
GarageJockey (06-17-2019), slippin_jimmy (06-18-2019), YZR (06-15-2019)
Old 04-02-2016, 07:05 PM
psdj52
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks awesome.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:14 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

Looks Good Man

Old 04-02-2016, 08:56 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddy454
So I've been wanting to do this for a while,and I finally got it on.BDL Evo-8 2 3/4",with 3Guyz chain drive conversion.Took a few days to get it done due to me being **** about the install to hopefully avoid any problems later.Also did some powdering on the motor plate,and brake rotor.Anyway here she is....
Looks good! I found out the hard way that you make sure you reverse the stator seal. Mine was leaking right from the factory and I had to go back and pull everything back off to get to the seal to replace it. The inner primary is a bitch to get back off. I had to drill & tap mine on either side of the trans bearing and use a gear puller. (I have the R-P Brute IV drive) I do think that anything over 2" wide is overkill - though mine is 3", I'd go with 2" if I did it again.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:56 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

looks great- the belt drive really fits with the overall theme - nice bike brother.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts

I still can't figure out the multi-quote thing,so psd,and Denny....thanks guys.

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Looks good! I found out the hard way that you make sure you reverse the stator seal. Mine was leaking right from the factory and I had to go back and pull everything back off to get to the seal to replace it. The inner primary is a bitch to get back off. I had to drill & tap mine on either side of the trans bearing and use a gear puller. (I have the R-P Brute IV drive) I do think that anything over 2" wide is overkill - though mine is 3", I'd go with 2" if I did it again.
I'm not sure what you mean about reversing the stator seal.Hopefully that's not something I'll have to deal with.Not looking forward to pulling this back off anytime soon.Thanks Furry.

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
looks great- the belt drive really fits with the overall theme - nice bike brother.
Thanks Dog.I think you may be right about the gearing that I went with.From what little I've gotten to ride it yet,it feels about the same...and my speedo is off.Another odd thing I noticed-I installed a Harley speedo/tach combo gauge that used to show the gear indicator as I rode(even though it said my model wouldn't),now it only shows the first 3 gears?I'm guessing this may have something to do with the speedo pulse thingy you mentioned in your gearing swap thread?Do you know if aV&H FP3 tuner will fix this?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-15-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:50 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

^^ Yeh you have two things going on here:

1. you changed your primary so the different ratio here will affect the gear indicator, 6th light
2. you changed your secondary from belt to chain, and this would affect your speedometer and mileage reading.

For #2 the fix is easy with a powervision or TTS, and updating the 'speedometer correction' pulse per km value. you would figure out the ratio difference from stock in percentage, then add or subtract that percentage to the stock pulse per km value. I don;t know if the fp3 can do this. I can help you get the correct value if you can get a tuner with editing capabilities. I think you may be getting beyond the fp3's capabilities with your mods.

for #1, you may need something like the PV or TTS so you can edit the actual 1st-6th gear ratios. I know that baker has decent tech guidance on fixing this but not sure about BDL. i'm afriad this area is not one I'm familiar with but I have seen it posted a lot that changing the primary to belt drive will f-up the indicators, 6th light, and cruise control. it may also affect abs operation. you may want to post for some help on HTT forum as well.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:05 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddy454
Thanks Dog.I think you may be right about the gearing that I went with.From what little I've gotten to ride it yet,it feels about the same...and my speedo is off.Another odd thing I noticed-I installed a Harley speedo/tach combo gauge that used to show the gear indicator as I rode(even though it said my model wouldn't),now it only shows the first 3 gears?I'm guessing this may have something to do with the speedo pulse thingy you mentioned in your gearing swap thread?Do you know if aV&H FP3 tuner will fix this?
I'm about to install a BDL belt drive on my Rocker, and was told that it wouldn't affect the 6th gear light on my stock speedo...and yes, the FP3 does have a "Speedometer Calibration" feature, in the edit maps "General" section. It might fix the problem. BDL also told me that gearing changes to the ecm wont be necessary after install..also are you installing a belt guard and front covers on yours?? or did you order without?? I ordered the 2" polished model.

Last edited by Rocker B; 04-03-2016 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:52 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

That looks SICK and totally old school! I like the simplicity and "naked" look of it, rather than all the covers and other doo-dads you see on so many aftermarket open primarys these days...

Old 04-03-2016, 07:23 AM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

Looks great on there, nice job.

Quick Reply: Belt drive is on!