Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel management

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:06 PM
bisache
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel management

I just got a 09 deluxe today and already had a set of vance hines big shots to put on it that I got off of craigslist cheap. Issue or maybe not it doesn't come with o2 sensor holes. Are there any good fuel management systems for the bike if I don't use the o2 sensors? I was thinking I was going to get tts mastertune but I believe you need the use of the o2 sensor. I had a fuel moto micro tuner on my last bike but I wanted more of auto tune feature. I thought having that would give me the closes thing to having the bike dyno tuned.
I guess the question is there anything out there that works really good without using the o2 sensors or should I sell the exhaust and find one that has o2 bungs and get something like tts or something compareable? thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. I'm really only planning on adding a high flow air cleaner and exhaust at the moment.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:25 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Go to a decent muffler shop and have O2 bungs welded in and get a tts master tune, there is no longer another GOOD choice out there now that the super tuner is gone! Running a late Harley efi without O2 sensors is just stupid!

The following users liked this post:
bisache (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
[B]Go to a decent muffler shop and have O2 bungs welded in B]
That's exactly what I did when I converted my 06!

bisache (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:33 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Nightrain
That's exactly what I did when I converted my 06!

My buddy does it at his muffler shop quite often

Old 05-22-2017, 11:16 PM
bisache
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Go to a decent muffler shop and have O2 bungs welded in and get a tts master tune, there is no longer another GOOD choice out there now that the super tuner is gone! Running a late Harley efi without O2 sensors is just stupid!
Thanks for the info, then this is what I look into doing.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:42 PM
bisache
Intermediate

I have been researching the last couple of hours on what fuel management system to get. Now kind of overwhelmed. If all I am doing is basically a stage one upgrade(exhaust and hi-flow air cleaner), what is the best management system for me. Thinking now that tts or thundermax would be overkill and I wouldn't use anywhere near its full potential. Is there something cheaper that i should look at that would do the same thing as tts and thundermax for the mods i will have. Or is tts and thundermax still beneficial for my needs over cheaper alternatives? Thanks for any help.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:34 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,376 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by bisache
I have been researching the last couple of hours on what fuel management system to get. Now kind of overwhelmed. If all I am doing is basically a stage one upgrade(exhaust and hi-flow air cleaner), what is the best management system for me. Thinking now that tts or thundermax would be overkill and I wouldn't use anywhere near its full potential. Is there something cheaper that i should look at that would do the same thing as tts and thundermax for the mods i will have. Or is tts and thundermax still beneficial for my needs over cheaper alternatives? Thanks for any help.
A thundermax ECM basically replaces your OEM ECM and allows the bike to run in closed loop on wide band O2 sensors, rather then the OEM narrowband O2 sensors. It allows for much better, and more complete closed loop operation.

The PowerVision with target tune is the same type of system, however it uses the OEM ECM and has an add-on unit to allow wide band O2 sensors to communicate with the OEM ECU. Same basic advantages of the Thundermax ECU...

They are top-o-the-line tuning systems, but I think both are overkill for a stage I (air cleaner & exhaust)....

That leaves you a flash tuner like TTS or PowerVision, or an add-on unit that "adjusts" the fuel working with the OEM ECM.

I don't like add-on stuff, so I went a flash tuner. I picked the PowerVision. I think it's easier to use than the TTS tuner, if you want to leave it attached, it will function as an extra gauge pod (you select what to monitor), and if you want to add bikes, or switch it to new/other bikes, it will be cheaper than the TTS if more than 2 bikes are involved. With a flash tuner, you flash a MAP to your ECM. It basically changes the MAP in the ECM to work with the added mods. You can also do an "auto tune" to dial in the tune to your specific bike via dialing in the VE tables... very easy (and fun) to do... It would be the last device you need to buy, and could handle any tuning needs you would need in the future to include a dyno tune.

I bought a PowerVision for my two bikes, and added two close friend's bikes. It has tuned (1) stage I, (1) Stage II, (1) Stage III, and (1) OEM improved.. They all run very well with FuelMoto supplied MAPS and couple were auto tuned for fun..

It would be cheaper, however, to get a piggy back (add-on) management system for just a Stage I (air cleaner & exhaust) like you want to get. If you truly know you won't ever want more, this could be the way to go.... I'm a fan of DynoJet and FuelMoto, so I would recommend a FuelMoto Micro EFI tuner (on sale now for $199).

I would call FuelMoto (forum sponsor) and they could discuss your needs/wants and steer you in the right direction. Their customer support is truly first class...!! They have earned all the Kudos you read about them on this, and other, forums

Good luck and enjoy... !

bisache (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 10:36 PM
bisache
Intermediate

First off thanks for the info. Using Power vision, do you have to have the pro add-on to use auto tune? If so, without the pro version is the power vision the same as the micro tuner without a screen? With power vision are you saying you can marry it to your bike and then use it on another bike? I think I'll give fuel moto a call tomorrow.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:11 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,376 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by bisache
First off thanks for the info. Using Power vision, do you have to have the pro add-on to use auto tune? If so, without the pro version is the power vision the same as the micro tuner without a screen? With power vision are you saying you can marry it to your bike and then use it on another bike? I think I'll give fuel moto a call tomorrow.
The PowerVision tuner can use the OEM narrowband O2 sensors in Auto Tune Basic, right out of the box... AT basic is good for dialing in the VE tables on a canned MAP, in the areas you most ride...

I bought the AT110 module, which allows the PV to use Auto Tune Pro, with the supplied wideband O2 sensors. It covers more areas of the map with better accuracy... narrowband O2 are good from like 14.3AFR to 15.0AFR The wide band are good from like 12.1 to 18.0.. the pro just allows for a faster, and more complete adjustment of VE tables... the MAP for my Stage III bike that I received from FuelMoto, got to a 4% average cell change in 2 AT sessions with basic auto tune... that means the FuelMoto MAPS are pretty close to begin with.. I tried the same MAP with AT Pro, it got to 1% average change in 2 sessions, and more of the MAP was filled in (at the extremes).. AT Pro also allows for spark tuning, but I'm just beginning to figure that part out, it's more complex than just dialing in the VE tables, and not really needed if you start with a good MAP for your mods...

The PV is full on tuner, can even be used when dyno tuning. The micro tuner is an add-on, and I don't know much about it, but I'm sure it doesn't have the same capabilities as the PV tuner... A call to FuelMoto would certainly clear up the differences...

The PowerVison will marry to one bike, out of the box... then for $199, you can add another bike (license). You can ad as many bikes as you want, $199 each... Whether you add extra bikes, friend's bikes, or if you get a new bike... $199 each new license, after you buy the tuner.. If you bought 50 bikes in your lifetime, you could still have the same tuner...

For me, that's a big failing of the TTS. You can pay $445 for the TTS, and add another bike for $199... But the TTS maxes out at 2 bikes per tuner.. If you wanted a 3rd, you'd need to pay the $445 for another tuner.. and so on..

There's a lot of choices, and several good options... to me it boiled down to tuner capabilities, ease of use, and customer service. If you buy your DynoJet product from FuelMoto, you will have both Fuelmoto and DynoJet to turn to for customer service. I have received excellent customer service from both ...

Good luck with your decision and enjoy...!!

Last edited by hattitude; 05-24-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:12 AM
bisache
Intermediate

Well talked with fuel moto and decided to go with the power vision. Thanks again hattitude.

Quick Reply: fuel management