Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Softails

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts
Default 2018 Softails

Yeah, I know this is Touring but this is the only place on here I go to. Anyway, was at the Springfield Mile on Sunday and H-D had their display along with several of the new Softails. They look like a cross between a Dyna and Softail, but with a horrible looking rear swingarm. They changed the angle of the lower strut to horizontal, instead of angled downward like the classic hardtail frame like they had been using on the Softail. Also the headlight treatment on a couple of them looked like something you would see on a Honda or something. They even have a somewhat narrow glide type front end on one model that is obviously the "Super Glide" of the Softail line.

Overall I did not like them and they appear too foreign looking to me. However, the frames were well designed with a mono shock mounted up top and definitely made stiff and of course they all have the Milwaukee 8 engine. You can tell the lack of ***** G's design and creative inputs.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:36 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Yeah, I know this is Touring but this is the only place on here I go to. Anyway, was at the Springfield Mile on Sunday and H-D had their display along with several of the new Softails. They look like a cross between a Dyna and Softail, but with a horrible looking rear swingarm. They changed the angle of the lower strut to horizontal, instead of angled downward like the classic hardtail frame like they had been using on the Softail. Also the headlight treatment on a couple of them looked like something you would see on a Honda or something. They even have a somewhat narrow glide type front end on one model that is obviously the "Super Glide" of the Softail line.

Overall I did not like them and they appear too foreign looking to me. However, the frames were well designed with a mono shock mounted up top and definitely made stiff and of course they all have the Milwaukee 8 engine. You can tell the lack of ***** G's design and creative inputs.

If they don't have a radiator on them, it's STILL Willie G's design influence. LOL!

Old 09-07-2017, 06:15 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

I agree, some will like the Softail changes and others not so much. And what's up with the turn signals on the Deluxe? The odd-ball of the line with everything else having the bullet-style.

New frame and combining the Dynas with the Softails was inevitable. I don't like the bags, but at least the Heritage comes in a 114 motor.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Gonna be the end of September before we get to see any '18 models here in the UK, so keep your comments coming - thanks!

Old 09-07-2017, 08:56 AM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Agreed. Not sure what I think exactly yet. Do like some of the changes, but not all. The new fatboy in black with a 114 looks a little intriguing. I do hope someone comes up with a decent cover for the plastic suspension adjustment ****... Perhaps someone already has. Also not too wild about the oil cooler mounted in the front of the frame. Not real obvious, but looks a bit like a metric radiator.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex-Leftcoaster
And what's up with the turn signals on the Deluxe?
They're "Retro-Modern", according to Harley.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:07 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,413 Likes on 4,017 Posts

I understand the need for the changes, I think that the technical aspects are pretty good.... but...

It's neither softail or dyna. It's a new design with a triangular, overhead mono shock swingarm... I think it's wrong to call it a softail...

That said, nothing about them would make me get rid of my '03 Heritage and buy one....

The following users liked this post:
LXT (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 09:30 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

GUNTOTER---That is progress for you, the new SofTail family will grow
on you, keep an open mind. A lot of Forum members like the redesign.

John

Old 09-07-2017, 11:08 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I dont like the looks of most of the 18's I have seen on HD site. Especiall the fugly headlight, makes it look like a yamahaha dual purpose

Old 09-07-2017, 01:25 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

IMO the new HD has gotten to much like the metric bikes of years ago. The changes on some models are drastic but are up to date. I like some of the changes and hate some. I love the new fatboy but hate the headlight and the price. IMO they did to much for the old HD faithful but they have to keep up with the other manufactures.

Quick Reply: 2018 Softails