Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tssm issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:40 AM
confusedscot
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry tssm issues

Shot in the dark 2002 softail standard
hi folks got a wee issue looking for some input bikes been running fine went out for a run last night all was good made a short stop and when i went to get going again pushed the button on my remote turn signal only flashed twice switched the ignition to on position and the alarm went off pressed the fob again and bike turned over but would not start switched it back to accessories and back to ignition and its started ...today the bike is doing the same thing press the fob two blinks on the turn signal and alarm goes off when i switch to ignition ( am i going mad but i seam to remember the signals flash three time when disarming and rearming ) i have disconnected the battery ....nothing checked fuses run the resetting sequence ....still the same issue ......any thoughts

Old 05-23-2018, 11:15 PM
HarleyHappy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,182 Likes on 1,794 Posts
Default 2006 Softail

Have to hit my fob twice to arm (blinks twice) and red key starts flashing. Hit once to disarm and red key goes off. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
confusedscot (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 12:36 AM
confusedscot
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all sorted now was just have a blonde moment have the bike 2 years and for some reason i started pushing the button once feel like a fool Ha thanks anyhoo

Old 05-24-2018, 07:34 AM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,812 Likes on 3,037 Posts

You also have the EU module as compared to the USA version.I had to go that route as my TSSM crapped out on me.My indy had a module and 2 fobs for 80 bucks .My only issue is it is self alarming after 30 seconds and I cannot disable it like the USA module a bit of a PITA as I had never used the system.It is silent and its only benevolent factor is that it disables ignition circuit. I use disc brake locks when I am away from the bike.Like I said it now auto arms itself. The disc brake locks are my only deterrent really,no one hears lights flashing at 2 am.And I didnt have the audible siren,mine only came with ignition cut off and flashing lights. heres the catch on my unit, we were not able to get the PIN code and are not able to re-assign one to it, went to stealer who said NO WAY JOSE. I do carry extra fob batts for those JIC moments and recycle them yearly for new ones, cheap insurance !!

Old 05-24-2018, 10:03 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,410 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyHappy
Have to hit my fob twice to arm (blinks twice) and red key starts flashing. Hit once to disarm and red key goes off. Hope this helps.

Really...? You got me thinking and I just walked out to the garage to check...

My '01 Springer and '03 Heritage are the exact opposite.... One push arms (blinks twice) and red key flashes. Push it twice and it flashes once, and the red key goes off......

The following users liked this post:
Torky_SOB (05-28-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 02:48 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

My '13 Dyna is supposed to have the security system, according to the VIN via the HD website, but I don't see the red key light up on the speedo, though I also wasn't given the fobs with the bike, either. How can I be sure that I have the security system on my bike? I'm almost afraid to go through the sequence to "enable" the security features, if I don't have an easy way to turn it OFF again, other than entering the "code", which I also wasn't given. I would HATE to turn that on, and NOT be able to turn it off again! I found a fob I got off eBay for only $25, but the dealer wants $55 just to program that one to work with the bike.
Thanks.

Last edited by ABQ-Jammer; 05-25-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:43 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
My '13 Dyna is supposed to have the security system, according to the VIN via the HD website, but I don't see the red key light up on the speedo, though I also wasn't given the fobs with the bike, either. How can I be sure that I have the security system on my bike? I'm almost afraid to go through the sequence to "enable" the security features, if I don't have an easy way to turn it OFF again, other than entering the "code", which I also wasn't given. I would HATE to turn that on, and NOT be able to turn it off again! I found a fob I got off eBay for only $25, but the dealer wants $55 just to program that one to work with the bike.
Thanks.
I believe your year uses the passive security system that has a FOB without a button..... True?

If that's true, your security is either disabled, or you don't have the TSSM (security) module. ( I am assuming the TSSM can be deactivated in the canbus system. I don't know for sure that it can be deactivated and left on the bike). You wouldn't be able to start the bike without a FOB, if you had a working TSSM (security) module. You're gonna need to go to a dealer and have them check it out... and activate/fix the TSSM if you have one..

With a non-button FOB, when the security is enabled/TSSM installed, the alarm activates automatically after you shut the bike off. You will need a working FOB to be in close proximity to the bike, or it won't start. If Security is on, and your FOB is disabled, you will need to know your bike's by-pass code to bypass the security and start the bike.

The older security systems with the push button FOBs are cake. The button activates/deactivates the alarm and the TSSM can be activated/mated/replaced by the owner. The owner can assign/mate the TSSM to the ECM, and then program (up to 2) button FOBs to the TSSM module, all by himself in the garage with a cold one.... If you happen to own a non-EFI bike, you don't even need to assign/mate the TSSM to the ECM... you can just add & switch FOBS all day long...

Last edited by hattitude; 05-25-2018 at 04:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
ABQ-Jammer (05-28-2018), Torky_SOB (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 08:40 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
I believe your year uses the passive security system that has a FOB without a button..... True?

If that's true, your security is either disabled, or you don't have the TSSM (security) module. ( I am assuming the TSSM can be deactivated in the canbus system. I don't know for sure that it can be deactivated and left on the bike). You wouldn't be able to start the bike without a FOB, if you had a working TSSM (security) module. You're gonna need to go to a dealer and have them check it out... and activate/fix the TSSM if you have one..

With a non-button FOB, when the security is enabled/TSSM installed, the alarm activates automatically after you shut the bike off. You will need a working FOB to be in close proximity to the bike, or it won't start. If Security is on, and your FOB is disabled, you will need to know your bike's by-pass code to bypass the security and start the bike.

The older security systems with the push button FOBs are cake. The button activates/deactivates the alarm and the TSSM can be activated/mated/replaced by the owner. The owner can assign/mate the TSSM to the ECM, and then program (up to 2) button FOBs to the TSSM module, all by himself in the garage with a cold one.... If you happen to own a non-EFI bike, you don't even need to assign/mate the TSSM to the ECM... you can just add & switch FOBS all day long...
Yes, mine should have the non-push-button fob. Thanks for the info. I kinda thought that would be the case. I just figured that PO disabled the alarm. Wouldn't have thought he would have removed or sold TSSM module separately. When I looked behind the left side cover, though, I don't recall seeing any TSSM module attached to the ECM/BCM, but I do have a small red light on the speedo to the right of the center of the dial, which I thought was an indication that the security system was there, but just turned off. Guess I better take it to the dealer to be sure, and have them program that fob I got for the bike, after I make sure what the code is, and know how to reset it once they're done. I'll probably continue using the key to lock it up, as that's become habit now.

Last edited by ABQ-Jammer; 05-28-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:18 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
Yes, mine should have the non-push-button fob. Thanks for the info. I kinda thought that would be the case. I just figured that PO disabled the alarm. Wouldn't have thought he would have removed or sold TSSM module separately. When I looked behind the left side cover, though, I don't recall seeing any TSSM module attached to the ECM/BCM, but I do have a small red light on the speedo to the right of the center of the dial, which I thought was an indication that the security system was there, but just turned off. Guess I better take it to the dealer to be sure, and have them program that fob I got for the bike, after I make sure what the code is, and know how to reset it once they're done. I'll probably continue using the key to lock it up, as that's become habit now.
Just FYI.....

I'm not sure what they did when they switched to the canbus system....

Before the canbus system, you either had a TSM (turn signal module) or a TSSM (turn signal security module), the obvious difference is one had security and one did not. It's possible when they went to the canbus system in 2014 that all bikes have security, it just needs to be turned on or off... I'm unsure. Your dealer would know (hopefully! ).

The red key light isn't just fo security, it also signals other faults....

Good luck with the fix...

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
ABQ-Jammer (05-28-2018), Torky_SOB (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 11:10 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
Just FYI.....

I'm not sure what they did when they switched to the canbus system....

Before the canbus system, you either had a TSM (turn signal module) or a TSSM (turn signal security module), the obvious difference is one had security and one did not. It's possible when they went to the canbus system in 2014 that all bikes have security, it just needs to be turned on or off... I'm unsure. Your dealer would know (hopefully! ).

The red key light isn't just fo security, it also signals other faults....

Good luck with the fix...
Thanks for the info. The red light I was referring to doesn't look like a key. It's just a round red light to the right of the center of the dial on the speedo. I was thinking that was the security light, since there doesn't appear to be a key shaped light. The only other shaped lights in the dial are ABS, which it doesn't look like I have, and one that looks like a dial with an arrow pointing to it, and the engine light, which is inside the dial to the lower left of the center, which is what usually shows that there is a code to view, and the reserve light, which is just to the right of that. At least, that's the way I think it is. I'd have to check my manual to be sure (found an electronic version online for only $9 shipped).

Quick Reply: tssm issues