Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C.O.G. on deluxes

Old 07-16-2018, 11:29 AM
dab102999
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default C.O.G. on deluxes

I cant seem to find out information on Center of Gravity for Deluxes. My wife has a 2005 and is loosing confidence on it. I personally think it is more in her mind but being with her since 85 I know better then to tell her that. When she first got it, it was a lot bigger bike then she was on before (2006 Vstart 650) but she was doing good and better everyday. Then one time at a stop sign she wasn't planted good and it tipped on her. She has been back on it a few times but I can tell she is overthinking way to many things and it is affecting her riding ablility. She has went down and sat on the newer bikes but has not rode one yet. But she "feels" that a newer one would be better. I don't have a problem with a newer one but don't want to buy one if it won't be rode. The only real difference I can find is a 50 lbs weight reduction. So my question is if the C.O.G. is in a different spot? She is not out of trying a street bob or maybe even a slim. but at 5'2" she doesn't want anything bigger and doesn't really like the sporty. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:43 PM
M8_Softails
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Not sure about the COG but at 5-2 she might like the new Low Rider since it has mid controls. It is only 3lb's heavier than the Street Bob.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I have a ‘18 Deluxe. I’m not exactly what you mean by center of gravity exactly. All I can say is that the bike is extremely well-balanced.

I’m 5’7”, and wear Durango harness boots. I can set my feet flat on the ground, but not quite as solidly as I can on my ‘17 Slim.

My issue is really with the stock seat. I need something that sits me lower about a 1/2”, and is not as wide. Unfortunately, there isn’t much of an aftermarket for the ‘18 Deluxe yet.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:21 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludwig von Buzzthoven
I have a ‘18 Deluxe. I’m not exactly what you mean by center of gravity exactly. All I can say is that the bike is extremely well-balanced.

I’m 5’7”, and wear Durango harness boots. I can set my feet flat on the ground, but not quite as solidly as I can on my ‘17 Slim.

My issue is really with the stock seat. I need something that sits me lower about a 1/2”, and is not as wide. Unfortunately, there isn’t much of an aftermarket for the ‘18 Deluxe yet.
I believe a Reach seat will fit the deluxe. It lowers the rider about an inch and also moves you forward. This lets you reach the ground much easier.
Then there is Mean City Cycles who specilize in reworking seats. They can get you at least 1/2 " lower or a lot more if needed. They can also narrow the seat at the crotch area. Supposed to make the seat more comfortable too. Much less exspensive that an aftermarket seat.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:27 PM
dab102999
Cruiser

She has three seats with it, stock, saddleman, and a cvo seat. She currently uses the cvo seat because horn in narrower. Everything numbers wise between the two bikes is the same except weight. That is why I was asking if the c.o.g. might be different. We have been unable to find a low for her to try. Street bob is the closest. She is flat footed on her deluxe the way it is set up. I have reach bars and a 6"riser on it. Going to rework seat (mean city) as soon as she figures out if she is going to ride this or just look at it. If all she is going to do is look at it then the 14" bars are going back on and I will put it the way I like it...lol

Old 07-17-2018, 04:37 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,338 Likes on 2,199 Posts

My daughter has an 09 Deluxe and I spent about 100 miles on a new deluxe (rode one home for a friend).. The older deluxe is an easy bike to ride with a good COG... the new one - best balanced HD I think I ever rode...

Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 AM
ehummelman
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You are right that it's probably in her head, because if the confidence isn't there it doesn't matter how big or heavy or whatever. She probably got freaked when she tipped it over and now nothing short of a new bike will make her happy. I would try to just help her with the confidence part and get her to ride as much as she can. That's the only way to feel better about it. Unless of course you want to just buy her a new one and be done with it.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:44 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Now this has to be the lamest excuse I have ever come across for buying a NEW bike. I think I would have about 8 right now if I followed the "tip it...replace it" frame of thought.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:32 PM
dab102999
Cruiser

For now she is back on her vstar, I think I am going to try and lower the bike if I can find a kit.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:08 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by M8_Softails
Not sure about the COG but at 5-2 she might like the new Low Rider since it has mid controls. It is only 3lb's heavier than the Street Bob.
Ditto on that
That lowrider handles great
Plus ;there are tons of them one the used market ,which mean a good possibility of a good deal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C.O.G. on deluxes