Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 softtail duece gase gauge is twisted , back gound is gone and you can see the wires and stuff , some knuckle head thought it was the gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 04:49 PM
Gilbert R Rasco
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 softtail duece gase gauge is twisted , back gound is gone and you can see the wires and stuff , some knuckle head thought it was the gas cap

anybody ever taken one of these apart I cannopt seem to get it to twist or the lens to move now

Old 09-03-2018, 06:57 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 654 Likes on 281 Posts

On the Fat Boy gauge, and I assume it is the same on the Softtail Duece, the gas gauge in the left side of the tank does not twist. It you want to remove it, just grab the gauge by the outer ring and pull it away from the tank while making a rocking motion. Like you are trying to pull a cork out of a bottle. They can be pretty stubborn sometimes, but that is how they come out. You may be able to twist the outer ring while holding the base of the gauge after it is out of the tank and get the window lined up again if your lucky, but the couple I have seen twisted like that had the lens scratched pretty badly and one didn't work anymore anyway. I have Performance Machine matching gas caps and LED fuel gauges in both my bikes. I like them better. I have a stock gauge somewhere that is still good if I can find it.

The wires plug into the harness under the fuel tank roughly below where the gauge sits. You either have to take the wiring connector apart and the pull the wires through the tube in the fuel tank, or cut the harness to remove the connector. Your new gauge will not have the connector installed so that the wires can fit through the little tube that passes through the fuel tank. There are a few different ways you can deal with that like stripping the wires and soldering the old connector on. Personally, I would get the connector tools and install the connector properly after you run the wires through the tank. That is how I deal with wiring, just got the right tools. The connectors are not hard to work with if you have the tools for them.

Last edited by Gas Smasher; 09-03-2018 at 07:03 AM.