Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015Fatboy lo Special Front End Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 10:55 AM
Geoff Oz
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2015Fatboy lo Special Front End Clunk

Hi guys,, I've had a clunking noise ever since I bought the bike (new in Feb 2017, it was a superceded model), after reading various posts on this forum, people generally attribute it to the steering head washer, & a it kit with a new hardened washer solves thisa, I've bought the kit, part no 45740-07 & on the blurb it says its for earlier softails than mine & the dyna widwglide, & to tighten stem nut to 70--80 ft/lb, I just wonder if theres anyone out there who's experienced this cluning noiseon their later models like mine,,also on the FLSTFB, one doesnt tighten the stem nut down to 70ft/lb, according to the service manual it has to be left relatively free/loose & stem nut must move freely from side to side, then do a fallaway test, & adjust stem nut after this, any help would e appreciated, many thankks in advance

Old 11-22-2020, 02:35 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Tighten the fuel tank mounting bolts.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:11 AM
Geoff Oz
Intermediate
Default Clunking Front End

Thanks "Oldenuf2nobtr", I'll check out the tank bolts to see if they're loose, appreciate your help & input

Old 12-01-2020, 03:45 PM
Man of Asgard
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Geoff.
I'm glad I saw this. I have the same bike, and just fixed the same problem you're having (hopefully you have the same little problem I had). I looked all over the internet and couldn't find anything. So, hopefully I can bring this issue to light and provide a quick fix.

Let me start with some backstory:
I always ride with a full face helmet on. One day, I decided to ride with it off. Everytime I went over a bump, I would hear a "tink" coming from the front end. I couldn't tell where though. I looked for solutions on the internet, and many said "check the gas tank bolts." I did, but they were flush and everything was good right there. I stopped riding for about a week, then got back on.

I heard the noise again, and was concerned. I went home, took a look at the ENTIRE front end, and I noticed there was a chip mark on the slider cover facing the fender.

I also saw a wear mark on the fender. I then looked at the symmetry of the bike. I kneeled down in front of the bike (so the RIGHT FORK is on MY LEFT), and by doing this, I could see a visible difference in the gaps between the forks and fender. There was more space on MY RIGHT than there was on the side with the chip mark (which is why I was hitting the fender).

I then checked the fender mounts, and saw that there was space on the good side of the fender.

So, I loosened up the other side and tightened the good side, which brought the fender away from the bad side and closer to the good side. After I did this, there was an even gap on both sides. I test rode it and the sound was gone!

I hope this helps!

Old 12-01-2020, 05:14 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Wondering if that clunk is ABS kicking in and really no probs.
Those neck bearing adjustments you need to be careful with, easy to compress them too much, neck bearing adjustment usually means front end wobble developed.

Be interesting see what your prob was.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:44 AM
Geoff Oz
Intermediate

HI Man Of Asgard, many thanks for your help, the weather is crap here , as usual for Wales UK, but I'll go out later to the shed & check over what you found on yours, you may have something here, as I've noticed the paint on the rivets of the mudguard are blistering, this has been going on for a while, so maybe the fender is out of true. I;m getting it repainted ( fender ) over the winter anyway & it's not really noticeable , but I know its there. I will measure e]the gaps etc later on , & will post how it turned out, many thanks for your input & help, it is appreciated a great deal, all the best Geofff

Old 12-02-2020, 01:49 AM
Geoff Oz
Intermediate

Hi Tampa Fatboy, I don't think it's an ABS issue as it's usually at a low speed, 'Man of Asgard' just sent a possible cause , so will go out later & check some measurements out, , I'm like a dog with a bone so I'll get an answer to this , as it's annoying & shouldn't be occuring. This is my first Harley, & I love it to bits, always puts a smile on the dial when out on it, many thanks to you, stay safe & all the best Geoff

Old 12-02-2020, 09:19 AM
Geoff Oz
Intermediate

Hi, I checed out the fender etc & everything is fine there, I'll do a fallaway test soon & install that washer I got to see if that gets rid of the clunking , many thanks once again for your help & input. This forum is great for us new HD riders (( even though I'm 63 lol)