Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 09:19 PM
Riku5670
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission issues?

So I’m having an issue with my 2009 softail, with a revtech 88. The bike got bed me issues with shifting into 1st and 2nd after coming to a stop. But the biggest problem, is that in any gear, traveling down the road if I accelerate too hard it feels like the transmission is almost “jumping” or lunging. It doesn’t slip out of gear or anything like that. This happens most often at highway speeds. Also I feel like I should add, if I squeeze the clutch, I can bring the rpm’s as high as I want to without having the same problem. When in gear, I can slowly come up to speed without it happening as well, it only occurs when I try to accelerate too quickly. Thoughts?

Old 06-03-2022, 07:08 AM
MarlinSpike
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 347 Posts

My first thought from your description would be belt slippage.
I don't really understand the "I squeeze the clutch, I can bring the rpm’s as high as I want"?

Old 06-03-2022, 08:35 AM
jkinner
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts

I would start with adjusting the clutch, go from there.(sounds like it's slipping under load), Might need a new clutch. How many miles on it?

The following users liked this post:
MarlinSpike (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 09:01 AM
Riku5670
Novice

Tmu, last known was 44k, and that was probably 2 or 3 years ago.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:41 AM
Riku5670
Novice

Originally Posted by MarlinSpike
My first thought from your description would be belt slippage.
I don't really understand the "I squeeze the clutch, I can bring the rpm’s as high as I want"?
by this I mean that if I pull the clutch lever in, I can twist the throttle and bring my rpm’s as high as I want without having the same issue.

MarlinSpike (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 02:14 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,464 Likes on 4,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Riku5670

by this I mean that if I pull the clutch lever in, I can twist the throttle and bring my rpm’s as high as I want without having the same issue.

Forgive me, but I am having trouble understanding your issue(s)...

What you said above is the way it's supposed to work.... pull in the clutch, the clutch is disengaged, and the engine will now rev... but what is "without having the same issue"...? Do you mean without jumping or lunging? Again, that's the way it's supposed to work when you pull in the clutch..

The "jumping" or lunging when accelerating hard sounds like clutch slippage as others have suggested...

I do also not understand, " The bike got bed me issues with shifting into 1st and 2nd after coming to a stop."

I'd love to help if I can, but I just don't understand the issue as you have described it...

Old 06-03-2022, 02:18 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,339 Likes on 11,166 Posts

You’d have to have a majorly screwed up transmission for it to slip & lurch. It just doesn’t happen. Most likely clutch.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:22 PM
Riku5670
Novice

Originally Posted by hattitude
Forgive me, but I am having trouble understanding your issue(s)...

What you said above is the way it's supposed to work.... pull in the clutch, the clutch is disengaged, and the engine will now rev... but what is "without having the same issue"...? Do you mean without jumping or lunging? Again, that's the way it's supposed to work when you pull in the clutch..

The "jumping" or lunging when accelerating hard sounds like clutch slippage as others have suggested...

I do also not understand, " The bike got bed me issues with shifting into 1st and 2nd after coming to a stop."

I'd love to help if I can, but I just don't understand the issue as you have described it...
that last part you mentioned was a typo, sorry. And I’m not the best at explaining things my bad lol. Basically, If I’m traveling at highway speeds and try to accelerate too quickly, I can feel what i assume is the transmission almost jumping. Some described it as slippage, but it doesn’t quite feel like slipping in a way I’m used to. It could be, I’m not great with transmission issues and it’s hard for me to tell. Now, I can ease up to the speed I want, accelerating slower, and it doesn’t happen, only if I try to accelerate quickly. This also happens in lower gears but not as often, it’s mostly in 3rd and higher. Is that a little more clear?

Old 06-04-2022, 12:42 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,339 Likes on 11,166 Posts

Clutch.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:47 PM
Riku5670
Novice

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Clutch.
A few people have mentioned doing an adjustment, would I be better of doing that or replacing the clutch all together?

hattitude (06-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Transmission issues?