Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17x6 rear wheel + 200mm tire (stock 06 FXST rear) on Deuce

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bar50
There is or was a spacer kit for going to a 180 tire. I see them every so often on the online auction site. Plus the cost of the tire.

I bought the tire, wheel, pulley, brake rotor, belt, brake caliper, hose, and master cylinder for $270 shipped from a guy when it didn't meet the reserve price.

I bought new wheel spacers($15) and a brake caliper carrier/mount($48) from HD.

The only cutting was really on the caliper mount on the swing arm, the front fender/mud guard plastic, and those inner fender support brackets. Some guys leave them out...

As for spacing I have extra large hands, per the gloves I wear on the ambulance, full finger on the pulley side (0.500-0.600") and about and 1/8" (0.125) on the rotor side. Mine it tight (0.125) on the back half rotor side, plenty of room on the front rotor side, almost like the fender it tweaked!!?! You can get a full finger on the front side of the fender on the rotor side.

So, 200 wide wheel and tire with new-er belt and WAY EASIER to mount & service rear brake for the price of a new 200 tire almost...

After having mine together and hitting the few nice days to try it out. I am looking at cutting the inside of the pulley 0.125 and moving the wheel closer to the pulley. But, I am OCD about it being centered. It rides fine, I should leave it alone, that is what everyone is telling me...
It looks sooooooooooooooooo much better with the fender full of tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They should have came that way!

As for the 95" kit, I bought another pair of heads and have ported them out, SE pistons and rings with jugs bored, haven't decided on a cam and gear drive yet. If the Heavy Breather made a notice-able change in power it would stay in place.
What year caliper? I have an '06 and I got a wheel. It's going to get powder coated on Monday and I need to get the parts to get this together. IIRC, the '06 caliper is already slanted at the mount point.

Do I still need the same size spacer in the original post if I go with a 1 1/8 pulley for the rear? There are some out there that don't cost an arm and a leg, so I think I'm going to do that.

Do I need to purchase new bearings? The bike has about 18k miles on the stock wheel.

Other than the gaskets for the primary, the spacer, the pulley, and the belt, is there anything else necessary that I need to purchase for this?

Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by andycg
hi all -

after a lot of reaserch, asking around and measuring, I have succesfully installed stock FXST 17x6 rear wheel + 200mm Dunlop on a Deuce, using STOCK belt + pulley. it is a direct fit with a minor modification on the pulley, swing arm brake tab and brake caliper. the wheels is almost centered, run straight, fills the rear fender with no rubbing after 300 miles trip during thanksgiving. here are the details:

part list:
HARLEY DAVIDSON 41647-06 Chrome Solid Disc Forged Wheel-17" Rear - 3/4" ID bearings
Dunlop Sportmax D205 200/55-17 Rear Tire
Drag Specialties rear axle spacer - 3/4" ID, 1 1/4" long

modification steps:
shave the stock pulley:
the area where the pulley makes contact with the wheels is shaved off 7/16"
the outter belt guide is shaved off about 1/16" - refer to pic
refer to the detailed pulley pictures below

grind the swingarm, on the brake caliper tab - just to make the tire clear
grind brake caliper foot - just to make the rim and valve stems clear
note: there is no measurement for this, i did a trial and error
refer to the detail brake caliper/swingarm tab picture below

These measurements are definitely off for my bike. I have the stock pulley, the wheel with the same part number off an '07, the correct spacer, and a dunlop aemrican elite 200/55/17. The pulley on the wheel sits so that the belt can't clear the tire at all when it's mounted. The pulley actually sits inside of where the tire is mounted. Me and a friend managed to get everything mounted up, but the belt just won't clear the tire. The 1.25" spacer is also about 1/2" short and would leave everything sliding around back there, so I'm going to have to purchase another spacer.

I may go with a 180 for now as this is starting to get expensive.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 AM
sagebrush1976
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There is about 1/2" difference in the hub width between an 06 wheel and an 07 wheel. My experience is with a FXST as opposed to your FXSTD but the results are the same. I am running an 07 wheel on my 06 and had to use a 1/2" spacer for the drive pulley otherwise the pulley was inside the wheel like you're describing. The 06 FXST/B/C rear wheels are a unique "one year only" design.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by sagebrush1976
There is about 1/2" difference in the hub width between an 06 wheel and an 07 wheel. My experience is with a FXST as opposed to your FXSTD but the results are the same. I am running an 07 wheel on my 06 and had to use a 1/2" spacer for the drive pulley otherwise the pulley was inside the wheel like you're describing. The 06 FXST/B/C rear wheels are a unique "one year only" design.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll try a spacer before I give up on the 200. I scratched the powder coat a little, but just sitting there is looked bad ***. Do you have any photos of the rear of your bike? How does it fit? Nice and snug on the axle? I don't want anything slipping around back there.

If the bike isn't being lowered, do the inside strut braces have to be carved up?

Last edited by Village Idiot™; 09-24-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 AM
HDSHOCKR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics Not Available

Pics not available on site anymore. Any chance you could repost and or email to me. Thank you.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rlbrobst
There are ways of doing this so everyone knows with stock harley parts available on ebay WITHOUT grinding and WEAKENING the caliper! I done this mod myself this winter with all stock parts off a 07 wide tire softail. NO Grinding! you do have to modify or remove the inner support on the fender and use button head bolts to get it to clear everything. I ended up with about 1/4" clearance on the brake side and about 5/16" clearance on the drive side. You can look at my member profile pics for more pictures of this mod.
I looked at your pictures. I would like to use a 180-200 next time. If you have a few minutes would you detail the way you did it with some specifics for us that want another route from OP ( nice job though).