Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swaping headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:32 PM
SGTGunner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default swaping headlight

Welp yall, I goofed. I got a little bonus check and spent it all on mods for my 08 Night Train......and forgot to get a shop manual. So I'm hoping somebody could give me a hand. One of the things I got was a larger headlight. I figured it would be a straight forward install but not sure how to unplug the stock headlight. I followed the wires under the tank then lost them. Do I need to remove the tank or can I unbolt it and lift if up a little? Is there anything under there I should be worried about messing up or do all the lines and wires have enough slack for some wiggle room?
I also got some forward controle extentions, T-bars, and ISO grips.

Hope somebody can help till I get my cheap butt to the dealer for a manual. Thanks yall

Old 04-28-2008, 12:53 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: swaping headlight

Take the acon nut off the speedo panel and unplug the gas vent tube and the fuel pump connection and you should be able to pull the front bolt out of the tank, loosen the rear one. The crossover line should let you lift it enough to get at the headlight connector. But its going to be a tight squeezegetting your fingers under there, but it can be done. Might need a screwdriver to hold the latch in while you pull on the line. Getting the new one in, your on your own.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:13 PM
SGTGunner
Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply! Are you talking about electrical connections under the speedo? I dont remember seeing any hoses when I was under there last time. Obviously the vent tube is a hose though. Thanks again for the reply. I'm excited about making these changes but want to do it right. I desperatly need to invest in a manual!!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:46 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

The vent tube in at the front of the tank under the console. It just pulls off, no clamps or anything. But its not long enough to let the tank move any with it still attached, at least mine wasn't. You disconnect the tank pump line just so it will let you hang the speedo console over the handle bars getting it out of the way.

The tank may well have to come off. It all depends on how high you can lift yours and how long and thin your fingers are. I had a problem with my headlight when I put the bike back together after winter mods and was just able toget at it. Turned out to be a miss installed wire in the hand grip control wiring, but I didn't have to completely remove the tank.

And YES you really should invest in the service manual. Probably the cheapest $60 you'll ever spend on your bike. Get the parts manual too if you can afford it. It shows a lot of parts in "exploded" diagrams. Makes it much easier to ID parts and how they are assembled.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Loud1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup , plenty of room if you just lift the tank , no need to take it off the bike

Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 PM
SGTGunner
Cruiser

Thanks a lot for the help. Going to dive into it tomorrow along with the rest of my mods!
Loud1, how the heck is your bike NOT sinking into the sand? Must be some hard packed stuff! Sweet ride though. Is your pass pillion the suction cup style? How good does it hold?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:10 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

Let us know how you make out. Its always good to know if someone finds a new "trick" to doing things.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 AM
tabone75
Advanced

If you do as above and also undo plug the gas line to the tank using the quick connector on the tank (need to drain tank first) then you can carefully slide the tank towards the rear of the bike and expose all the wire connectors on the left side of the frame. Then when done just slide forward and reconnect gas line and breather pipe and bolt in rear and infront.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 AM
third_left_eye
Tourer

Yeah, and don`t get all anxious to start her up and forget to reconnect the fuel line. It took me 20 minutes to figure out what was wrong. I took the tank off again just to check, and took apart my hand controls, only to see the fuel line swinging in the breeze. Good luck on the swap.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Loud1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: SGTGunner

Thanks a lot for the help. Going to dive into it tomorrow along with the rest of my mods!
Loud1, how the heck is your bike NOT sinking into the sand? Must be some hard packed stuff! Sweet ride though. Is your pass pillion the suction cup style? How good does it hold?
That pic was taken on Daytona beach this year nothing sinks out there Yup thats a suction cup seat and I've never had any problems with it in the year I've been using it just wish I remembered to take it off for that pic[:@]
Thanks for the compliment and good luck with your project post pics when your done