Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103" SE kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:46 PM
NTrain177
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103" SE kit

Thinking about putting the SE 103" big bore kit with cams in my 08 Night train, has anyone used this kit? I won't be doing the work myself so it will end up costing a lot of money between labor and parts so if anyone can tell me if this kit is worth the money, that would be great! Also if you can tell me where I would see the biggest gains and or losses in the power band with this kit and what is the HP/TQ numbers with this kit? Thanks for any help

Old 10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
6165hd
Road Captain

Not sure which 103 kit your looking at ? I have the stage 2 08 kit- 29893-07a.
255 cams. The 2009 SE catalog has enhanced, greater high performance 103 kits than last year, to include the tuner and stuff like that. I priced it out separately and HD is coughing up a deal which is really a suprise. So, check them out.

My advise is to first research the forum, ask your builder or stealer lots of questions.
Then ask yourself, how fast can I afford to go???

Performance wise to date, I really feel the throttle difference in the low gear range and torque performance is awsome. Horsepower is lacking in the middle gear range 45-55mph range and picks back up and sores in 6th up to about 80 and above without whinning.

I didn't get my bike dyno tuned until I upgrade my exhaust, and strongly want to update to 103-110 heads, with throttle body58mm.... $$$$
Needless to say Im not done and not out of the ****s yet to really finish my build.

Im really happy with it, and would have been asking the same question as you if I didnt.
Labor is about 9hours, which really sucks.!!!!

unfortunitly I don't have any wrench friends, but as mentioned if you go over to the engine section of the forum or do a search, you will get alot of different opions and suggestions from alot of experience right here in the forum back yard.

Last edited by 6165hd; 10-19-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:12 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride a dyna not a softail but I went with the 103" stage 2 with 110" pro heads and 255 cams. Hp94, tq110 but could be in the 100hp range if I swap out the cams and go with a 2-1 pipe. Just dont care for the looks of the 2-1 pipes but still considering it. The power is great low to mid but then drops off on top. Unless your just going for big #'s I would look at the way you ride. Is it mostly 2-up or alot of highway speeds ? Picking the right cams will make the difference.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Better off boring your 96"(actually they are TC88" jugs)jugs out to 103" as seasoned jugs bored will have a much better ring seal. You will also save a boatload of cash. Stay away from SE cams, there are way too many better options out there, like Andrews and Woods cams. Use the money saved from boring out your stock jugs to upgrade to gear driven cams. Will make your ride much more reliable........

Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Head quarters usa .com try them. They will put the best package together and you will get the most power you can get with them or anyone for that matter.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 AM
NTrain177
Cruiser

thanks for those options guys. I am looking for reliablity as well as more power, I am willing to trade off some of the added power for reliablity. It seems like from what I have seen on the forum that the SE kits are a little under powered when compaired to the others but I believe that is to keep them a long distance motor. I am not looking to set the world on fire and who would be with only a 103..I just want more bottom and mid power than what my 96 can offer stock.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by NTrain177
thanks for those options guys. I am looking for reliablity as well as more power, I am willing to trade off some of the added power for reliablity. It seems like from what I have seen on the forum that the SE kits are a little under powered when compaired to the others but I believe that is to keep them a long distance motor. I am not looking to set the world on fire and who would be with only a 103..I just want more bottom and mid power than what my 96 can offer stock.

Dont think that "SE" kits offer better "reliability" over aftermarket setups, thats the farthest from the truth. Factory engines have alot of weak points in em.

Again don't waste time buying a new set of jugs. Get your current jugs bored out. Why you ask? RING SEAL and much better piston to wall clearances. When you buy new jugs and off the shelf pistons most times the tolerances are going to be inconsistent overall and the ringseal will suffer. You present jugs though are already seasoned(heat cycled many times from daily running)and a precion bore will allow you to get a much truer jug for a better fit with a new set of pistons. That in the long term will make for a more reliable build with better held compression and potentially less oil consumed.

So if you want that 103" no issue, but again get your current jugs bored out, take the money saved grab a set of gear driven cams to remove a weakpoint in the factory motor and/or have your heads ported by a reputable local shop.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:16 PM
reds2harleys
Tourer

Dude, Do the kit. I had it done to my Rocker before I even rode it home and it runs great and pulls like crazy. I haven't had it dyno'd but its def quicker than a stock 96 by a decent margin and will walk away from a 88in TC easily. When we ride we don't mark out a 1/4 mile or anything but we do hammer our bikes hard and the difference is noticable. For normal riding the low end is the thing I love the most. For the price its a great buy. I can't speak on reliability as the bike only has 3000 miles on it but I had the 95in big bore kit done on my 2000 Lowrider and put 30,000 on that with no trouble at all. I sold that bike to buy the Rocker but I also have a 99 Road King that also has the 95in SE kit done on it and that has just under 30K also with no problems. I say go for it.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:10 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that I'm in a position to speak from experience.....There are a TON of better options out there over the SE 103" kit. I agree with SuperAchmed- have your stock cylinders bored, instead of buying the SE 103 cylinders- it'll save you a few $$$ and the they'll have tighter tolerances. I haven't used any products from Head Quarters, but they're highly recommended by forum users. PM Dalton or PhilM...they have both been happy with them. I'm currently running the HD 103" flat top pistons, SE255 cam (great low end tq, but cam is DEAD at 3700 rpm), and bored my stock jugs, SE Heavy Breather, V&H Big Radius, PCIII....84 HP, 104 LBS TQ. Not bad, but I expected more from a 103". I'm about to tear down again to "correct" a few things...Changing to R&R 615 gear drive cams, R&R Stage IV Heads, and bump compression up around 10.5 to 1. This should "wake" her up.