Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering an '06 Fatboy questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering an '06 Fatboy questions

I'm thinking about lowering my FB and I am hearing a lot of comments related to cornering and lowering. I'm trying to get about 2" closer to the ground because the bike is a little big for me. Anything I need to know about here? I always ride solo, am 5'4" and about 125 lbs. I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:17 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

Have you considered changing the seat instead of lowering the suspension?

Go to a Mustang or LePera.. you can drop 2+ inches by gettin rid of the stock seat..
My .02
PT

Old 12-21-2008, 05:22 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out the sidekick seat by Harley. Have one for 2 up excursions and it is much lower to the ground. Parts will scrape easier if you are 2" closer to the ground...

Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PastorTom
Have you considered changing the seat instead of lowering the suspension?

Go to a Mustang or LePera.. you can drop 2+ inches by gettin rid of the stock seat..
My .02
PT
I bought a Badlander (on the advice of some of you guys on here) and am sending that to Mean City Cycles for modification to push me forward, get some padding and narrow the whole seat a little. Think I should wait to see what that does for me before I look at lowering it?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:34 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Get an air ride so you can drop it when you wnat to get on and off. It lowers it 4 inches...

Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good idea, wait for the seat, I am going to lower my Train, at least an inch to 1 1/2", have to be careful as bikes w/boards will scrape sooner. nice looking fatboy

Old 12-21-2008, 07:02 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Boo67
I bought a Badlander (on the advice of some of you guys on here) and am sending that to Mean City Cycles for modification to push me forward, get some padding and narrow the whole seat a little. Think I should wait to see what that does for me before I look at lowering it?
I would..
Lowering just the rear suspension will change the handling of the bike a bit, How much?.. dunno..
I have lowered several Sportys for short legged women riders, But always have done front and rear both.. Then of course ya need to get a shorter kickstand to..

Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
good idea, wait for the seat, I am going to lower my Train, at least an inch to 1 1/2", have to be careful as bikes w/boards will scrape sooner. nice looking fatboy
Let me know how that goes with your lowering project. Thanks for the comment on my fB.
Pastor Tim, thanks for the good advice.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

My '04 Fat Boy is lowered 2" with no problems. Will drag the floorboards on sharp bends, but that has not been issue for me.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:24 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boo67
I'm thinking about lowering my FB and I am hearing a lot of comments related to cornering and lowering. I'm trying to get about 2" closer to the ground because the bike is a little big for me. Anything I need to know about here? I always ride solo, am 5'4" and about 125 lbs. I would really appreciate your thoughts.
I have a Fat Boy too...I have put over 50,000 k on her and have scraped my floorboards a few times. I can't say it's happened a lot but, on occasion..it has just happens.

Hubby decided this summer that while it was in getting some work done, he thought he would have it lowered for me. Honestly, I really can't tell the difference.

I think the biggest difference was when I had my seat and handled bars changed. It got a much narrower and firmer seat. THAT made all the difference in the world for me .... Even more than having it lowered.

Quick Reply: Lowering an '06 Fatboy questions