Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about running lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:49 AM
LagunaS2K
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about running lights

Hello guys...

i am new to HD's, i purchased a used '91 HD in real good condition but it has real old running lights which are very dim.

I have upgraded my sealed beam with a Hella H4 Driving lamp and swapped out the Halogen with a HID.

I wanted to know if some one makes the smaller running lights that are not sealed. something with a removable bulb so i can possibly swap the halogen for HID running lights.

My goal is to run all HID lights so i can actually see at night and people in Los Angeles will not only hear this bad boy come but see it at night so they know to GET OUT OF THE WAY!

Thanks in advance....

P.S. i have a spare H4 HID kit up for sale since i only needed one for the main beam.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:56 AM
LagunaS2K
4th Gear

here is a picture of my problem... i have searched almost every website that i know (it's not much since i am new to HD's) and most sights don't say if you can simply swap out the bulb.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:02 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

You can get new lamp bulb kit from HD for around $70 that has replaceable halogen bulbs in them But I think your going to be out of luck trying to upgrade a light that small with a true HID setup. There just isn't a hell of a lot of room in there for the transformer and such. But if you got one of the newer setups you could replace the bulbs with something like a PIAA or maybe a Sylvania Silverstar replacement that's brighter than the ones you have now by a long shot.
Just be careful of the wattage bulb you use. Those little Aux lamps will not be able to absorb or dissipate a hell of a lot of heat from a high wattage bulb and neither will the wires.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:12 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

HD has lamp bulb kits using 35watt H3 bulbs that should fit in your same cans. You can change out 35watt for H3 55watt bulbs if you really want to light it up. If you want to go to a smaller light look at Kuryakyn.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Already been done

The HID ballasts are very small but you will need 3 of them, one for each light. Here is a HDF link from yesterday on this same discussion. There is no comparison between HID and halogen. With a set of HID & another set of Halogens in each bikes side by side, when both bikes lights are turned on the halogen light is of no visible effect.

You can just put them into stock 4 1/2" lamps or you may wish to do something like I have on my bike. These are not a Kuryakyn product. I made the brackets for my inverted froks as they are much larger in diameter than Harley's.

Last edited by FastHarley; 01-15-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:24 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaS2K
I wanted to know if some one makes the smaller running lights that are not sealed. something with a removable bulb so i can possibly swap the halogen for HID running lights.
The answer to this question is yes. Harley makes them but Adjure also makes them.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 AM
LagunaS2K
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
You can get new lamp bulb kit from HD for around $70 that has replaceable halogen bulbs in them But I think your going to be out of luck trying to upgrade a light that small with a true HID setup. There just isn't a hell of a lot of room in there for the transformer and such. But if you got one of the newer setups you could replace the bulbs with something like a PIAA or maybe a Sylvania Silverstar replacement that's brighter than the ones you have now by a long shot.
Just be careful of the wattage bulb you use. Those little Aux lamps will not be able to absorb or dissipate a hell of a lot of heat from a high wattage bulb and neither will the wires.
Actually i still have room to hide the HID ballasts...

they are actually small as wide as a business card and .25" thick

I was going to hide them in the fork cover that i have or just run a longer wire and stuff it in the main headlight bucket. The main ballast is hidden in the fork cover, but the bucket can hold 2 HID ballasts still....

here is a pic of what i am working with...

Attached Thumbnails Question about running lights-img_0505.jpg  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 AM
LagunaS2K
4th Gear

Originally Posted by acchd
HD has lamp bulb kits using 35watt H3 bulbs that should fit in your same cans. You can change out 35watt for H3 55watt bulbs if you really want to light it up. If you want to go to a smaller light look at Kuryakyn.

Sweet! ok i will pay them a visit lets see if i can do a full HID upgrade on my bike.

Thanks for the help guys

Old 01-15-2009, 12:33 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaS2K
Actually i still have room to hide the HID ballasts...

they are actually small as wide as a business card and .25" thick

I was going to hide them in the fork cover that i have or just run a longer wire and stuff it in the main headlight bucket. The main ballast is hidden in the fork cover, but the bucket can hold 2 HID ballasts still....

here is a pic of what i am working with...
Damn!!! That's alot smaller than the last one I saw. Who made it?
Now you got me thinking that maybe I could upgrade my single headlight instead of swapping in a Fatbob's double headlight assembly.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:19 PM
LagunaS2K
4th Gear

i bout it from my coworker his brother imports these hid kits from china the brand is helios using phillips technology. basically they make the phillips brand HID and sell it under their own name.

but life time warranty on the bulb and ballast u can't go wrong!

Quick Reply: Question about running lights