Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Refresh... Next Steps

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 AM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ride Refresh... Next Steps

Well I finished off with the front and rear suspension. After putting a couple hundred miles on I'm satisfied that everything is done correctly (thanks to Brooks) and I enjoy the look and feel (thanks to the forum).

Now I need to consider the next steps with returning my 03 Fatboy to its glory days. I was thinking about transmission and clutch work assuming that was the source of some rattles but it looks like tightening some bolts (especially in and around the nacelle) and getting the front forks (with blown seals) taken care of took care of the rattles. The bike pulls well and I'm satisfied with the performance of the 88 ci w/stage one. I don't think I want (or need) any more from it. At least not yet.

There is one last repair job I need to take care of and that's getting the speedo and odo working again. I'll be getting a new pickup this week.

I think it is time to start working a bit on the aesthetics. The paint is in poor shape, there's rust around plenty of bolts, the wheels look bad, I don't like the handlebars and I really would like the V&H BR 2-into-1's.

I live in a townhouse and the bike is kept outside year round. It's ridden year round but after a few years it really is showing its age. But more important, whatever I do with it, it needs to be able to withstand bad weather. I'll be more careful about covering the bike but I'd also like to make it as weatherproof as I can.

Another (fake) restriction is I can't be without the bike too long. I don't own a car so the bike is my primary mode of transport. I can borrow a car but... well I hate being in a car.

So I'm thinking the next work to get done is:
1) handlebars and associated
2) fenders and tank
3) wheels
4) exhaust

Not necessarily in that order and hopefully all at the same time.

For the handlebars I'm thinking of going with a previous suggestion of the WO518 RKII bars. I'll want to change the mirrors and probably the controls and I have to add new turn signals (because the current ones are built into the mirror).

For the fenders and tank, that's going to be a tough one. I prefer black with maybe a very subtle (ghosted) design. I'd ride without front and rear fenders but won't get very far without the tank. I'll probably look for someone local and get advice on the possibilities. I'd definitely consider flat black and let the chrome speak for itself.

I haven't decided whether to clean and chrome the wheels I have (maybe an exchange) or get something else. I associate solid wheels with a Fatboy. Anything else wouldn't feel right to me.

Finally, those V&H BR 2-into-1 pipes really look nice to me. They'll probably replace the current V&H Pro pipes. My only decision there is the chrome or black.

So there you have it... the beginnings of the next project. Comments and suggestions welcome (or I wouldn't have bothered posting).

Old 02-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Whoad00d
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well man sounds like you have alot of work a head of yourself and i wish you good luck my two bikes are my life and i would always rather be on them than in a cage you should post pics when you get some.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

might cost you a bit, but a time savings idea is to buy some fenders and a tank off Ebay or somewhere and get them done your way before hand. You should be able to do a full swap in a weekend and minimize your downtime.

Clean up the old stuff and sell it to make a few bucks back.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:56 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Little advice: if you really keep her outside year round, think about changing your bolts and washers for some stainless ones. Expensive, but worth it. Makes sense?
Respect for riding all year round.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:40 AM
Spike_96
Cruiser

Just guessing here, your wheels are aluminum disc's right?

Old 02-11-2009, 04:59 AM
TheNotchDeux
Advanced

PM'ed ya

Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 AM
kkinderen
Road Master

Originally Posted by Spike_96
Just guessing here, your wheels are aluminum disc's right?
They are the stock 03 fatboy wheels. I believe they are forged aluminum? The rear wheel is especially ugly looking. It is pitted badly in the crinkled area and I cannot get it clean with anything I use on it. Even the smooth silver area can't be shined up with any of the solutions I use.

Correction... I was just out at the bike and took a closer look at the rear wheel. It is a pretty thick coat of white powder (oxidization?). It seemed to brush off easily enough in the smooth areas but the crinkle areas and the small hole would be a real trial to clean up. I'll have to check around and see what might be useable to see if I can clean them up and extend their life a little.

By the way, I have saddle bags on the back. Their only purpose is to hide the rear wheel. Sounds terrible, doesn't it?

Last edited by kkinderen; 02-11-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: 2nd Look
Old 02-11-2009, 07:02 AM
kkinderen
Road Master

Originally Posted by TheNotchDeux
PM'ed ya
PM'd ya back. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 PM
kkinderen
Road Master

Originally Posted by Whoad00d
well man sounds like you have alot of work a head of yourself and i wish you good luck my two bikes are my life and i would always rather be on them than in a cage you should post pics when you get some.
I added some pictures to the previous "Refresh" thread.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:02 PM
kkinderen
Road Master

Parts list for this stage:

Joker Knurled Handgrips

Joker View Tech VI Billet Mirror (R/L)

Joker JX Mirror-mount Marker Lights

Joker Brake/Clutch Levers

Wild 1 1-1/4" RK II Handlebars (WO518)

A new speedo pickup is already on order.

I think the braided cables I have now will reach the new handlebar. If not, I'll replace them. There should be plenty of cable to go through the handlebars as I've had them through beach bars before.

The knurled handgrips might not be my best choice as I do plenty of wet-weather/cold-weather riding but I like the style so that makes it ok. Also, handlebars are hard to pick out without trying them out. I liked the old beach bars I had and I'm wondering if these new bars aren't wide enough for me. Specs say the width is 35-1/2". I'll spend a few more days mulling all this over (and listening to any advice) and will probably move forward next weekend with the order.

Quick Reply: Ride Refresh... Next Steps