Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here are the pics of my tank shift.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:19 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tank shifts are definitely a conversation starter, that's for sure. I just rode 1400+ miles on Route 66 across CA AZ and NM with mine and usually got asked about it whenever I'd stop for gas. People are even more amazed when I pull up with it, and my kid or lady passenger gets off.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRacer
Tank shifts are definitely a conversation starter, that's for sure. I just rode 1400+ miles on Route 66 across CA AZ and NM with mine and usually got asked about it whenever I'd stop for gas. People are even more amazed when I pull up with it, and my kid or lady passenger gets off.
Can you post up a few good shots of that tank shifter? What is it and why do I like it more than the Granduer?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:41 AM
TRacer
Road Captain

Chazmanian,

These are the best photos I have. I run a LaBriola pedal but I wanted the shifter mounted further forward than a Grandeur, so this was my approach. I ended up fabricating my own mounting bracket and used a linkage from a Dyna.

Attached Thumbnails Here are the pics of my tank shift.-coil1.jpg   Here are the pics of my tank shift.-coil4a.jpg  
Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like it!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRacer
Chazmanian,

These are the best photos I have. I run a LaBriola pedal but I wanted the shifter mounted further forward than a Grandeur, so this was my approach. I ended up fabricating my own mounting bracket and used a linkage from a Dyna.

Yup, I like it. It's more forward than mine. Oh well, live and learn.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior

love the idea and execution....is getting added to my list of things to do for my solo riding bike

Old 05-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master

Hey Chaz, did you go with the LaBriola package, waitin' to hear.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ole Coyote
Hey Chaz, did you go with the LaBriola package, waitin' to hear.
Man....Phew.

6-8 weeks.

Cant gimme a photo of what the shifter itself will look like only that it will utilize the horn mount as its pivot and have some bends that will effectively make it more foward....Thats essentially whats keeping me from the Granduer is I want that shifter more foward. I fiddled around with positioning a yard stick where the Granduer would be and didnt like it. (Unless I got it for what you paid then I would love it!!)

I need one mounted more foward...Since reading how Tracer is simply reaching down with his thumb and clicking into gear at times? Fvck that closed the deal!!

Havent pulled the trigger yet.

I may just do a $329 IronTail Jockey(http://irontail.com/jockeyshifters.html) for the summer and dick around with a tank shifter this winter. I get too busy in July. I need it now or way later in the year.

I want to be certain that my exsisting shifter arm is the same size and spline as the shifter as I aint gonna run that lever that comes in the kit. The Labriola dude claims not only will my shift lever bolt up in place of his lever but that his longer peg will also bolt on my lever.

The flamed pegs are long gone and have been replaced with a set of Burled black simple ones. But I want to retain this lever and match with my brake side for sure.
Name:  Picture112-1.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  102.7 KB

Last edited by Chazmanian; 05-16-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Ole Coyote
Road Master

Chaz:

The shifter will fit fine. It will only take a couple of hours to do the swap, that's what it took me. (When I finally got all the parts together)

The more forward part is what I like. Maybe I can change over this winter to a more forward unit.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:05 PM
spooner
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

TRacer, looks good! That's using the old noggin!
Name:  IMGP0885-1.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  92.0 KB

Quick Reply: Here are the pics of my tank shift.