Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Bagger to Springer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:09 PM
GeezerGlider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Bagger to Springer?

Hello Springer people.

I wrecked my 06 Ultra Classic. Bummer. I'm OK and the insurance is totalling it out. Now I get to buy another bike. I like the Ultra a lot, but I also have always loved the classic look of a Springer. The new Springers look awesome in my opinion, but I've never ridden one. I do lots of two-up riding (the Ultra was obviously perfect for that) and would like to hear your opinions on what I might expect in terms of ride comfort both solo and two-up, performance, etc. It looks like it might be a drag for the back-seater, and since my particular back seater is also responsible for my ....ahem..."adult happiness", I'm quite concerned with her comfort levels. I just might end up joining the Springer ranks here reeeeeal soon.

Shiny side up!
GG

Old 06-06-2006, 01:57 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: From Bagger to Springer?

I went from a Softail to a Roadking to an EG Classic, and I can't imagine myself going backward. Since you are used to the Ultra, you are probably going to find the softail lacking in every respect except maybe looks.

My wife rides a Heritage softail, and it is definately lacking as a two up touring bike. She rode my EG the other day, and is now seriously considering one for herself because she found the EG more comfortable.

Regards,

Bill

Old 06-06-2006, 08:59 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The great thing with the Springer besides the look's is you can go from this

Name:  _MG_0811.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  90.2 KB

to this in about two minutes

Name:  SpringerClassic.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  22.7 KB

Old 06-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Mike05
Tourer

Heritage Classic or Springer Classic are the same bike except for the front end, exhaust and some trim. I picked the Heritage Classic because of the windshield, saddlebags and it just seemed to 'fit' better than the Road King, or other touring models. I have an Uncle in Utah that traded down from a Electra Glide for the same reason (we're both 5'8"). I would consider a lowered Road King or the like later on just for the comfort factor. A friend of mine has a softail standard. He road his cousins RK and said it was very comfortable. You may want to take a test ride with your 'adult happines provider' before you buy or you may wind up being your own 'adult happiness provider'.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:03 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

I've an '03 Heritage Springer...bought it for the looks since I grew up riding passenger on an old '41. A few things to think about...Wind...even with the big windshield there is a lot of air coming up from the road into your face. If you don't like wind stick with a bagger. The ride is great and the floorboards are all I need, no extensions for comfort (I'm 6'3", 205 lbs) I didn't like the buckhorn handlebars, they made my hands and fingers numb. Changed out to 16" tall chubby's, no more problems.
If you do a lot of 2 up riding, consider adjustable rear shocks or spend the money and get air shocks. With the stock shocks and a full load I tend to bottom out on good bumps. With the springer frontend remember that it has a limited travel due to the exposed springs so any real good sharp bumps at speed tends to jar some. I find that going into driveways a little fast jars more than hitting an occasional pothole or bump on the road.
Now for passenger comfort...Major necessity...I upgraded immediately to passenger floorboards, went with a taller detachable backrest for long distance comfort, and a big fat tour seat. You can either opt for a one-piece tour seat or if you've a good upholstery shop close by, convert your passenger seat to a ultra style passenger seat. What I did was find a damaged '06 Ultra seat, cut it in half at the backrest opening and mounted the Ultra foam and seat cover directly to my passenger seat base. That way it fit directly to the two mounting screws that hold my seat in place.
Like one of the earlier posts said...you can go from full tour to instant solo cruiser in about 15 minutes. I have the detachable windshield, the passenger seat unbolts, the backrest/luggage rack is detachable, and you can also unbolt your saddlebags so your pipes are exposed.
Check out my photo album for traveling pictures and stripped down cruiser. That's one option that is hard to do with a bagger for sure...

Old 06-07-2006, 02:15 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Jack checked out youre pic's you got a good looking ride there.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:18 PM
motorman4566
Advanced

If U want a bike buy a softail springer classic....if you buy another ultra it should only be cause wife rides all the time. I had a BMW with radio and all that jazz....gps.....never happier now that I have a bike that is a bike not a car with two wheels. 05 spring class....feel the road love your environment...

Old 06-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I love my Springer Classic and don't plan on selling or trading it anytime soon. But I already know my next ride will be either a Road King or Street Glide. I like the convenience of being able to pack everything including the kitchen sink and being comfortable two-up. But don't get me wrong the Springer is a great ride and I'm quite happy with it, just where I see myself ending up some time down the road. Take it for what it's worth and good luck with your purchase.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:58 PM
GeezerGlider
Cruiser

The idea of quiclky coverting from touring mode to solo cruising mode has a lot of appeal. There sure were times riding the dresser that I wished I didn't have quite so much extra stuff on it - but as mentioned, the convenience of being able to pack so much stuff brought out the inner packrat in me.

I appreciate the thoughts very much. I'm on the fence with this one (there sure are worse situations to be in than choosing between two new Harleys), and may not make up my mind until the insurance check is in-hand. In the meantime, I LOVE those springers - sure wish the MoCo still offered a Heritage Springer - loved that look muy mucho....

Ride safe!
GG

Old 06-07-2006, 09:27 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 05 Ultra and a 92 springer, all the bad things I heard about the springer handling and stuff were just BS. That being said they can have my Ultra when they pry it from my cold dead fingers. I think you would miss the Ultra. But hey, Buy one of each used with your insurance money.

Quick Reply: From Bagger to Springer?