Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Smug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Help Please

Hey guys, I took off the rear turn signals on my 07' Train. Obviously, I'm left with two holes in my fender struts. Does anybody know of a Co. that makes a cap that covers the holes up. Thank You

Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Are they not required in your state?? In my state it is a moving violation to not have them on and working.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Smug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah they are, but it's not illegal till ya get caught. Hey DB did you get that pipe yet?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:11 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

[QUOTE=Smug;5917582]Yeah they are, but it's not illegal till ya get caught. Hey DB did you get that pipe yet?[/QUOTE]

__________________________________________________ ________
Great play of words....

Sorry but Illegal is Illegal,,,, it doesn't become Illegal when U get caught. U'll get caught because it is Illegal.

Not only do they let people behind U know Ur going to turn, they also make U more visible so others can see U better. looking cool is one thing but I'd rather be safe than lying in the Hospital thinking I got whacked because I took off the lights on the rear...

They make all kinds of turn light kits that look good and still be within the law and help U be seen....

Okay, nuff said, now go do Ur thing..........

Old 12-02-2009, 08:55 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a Hardware store.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:53 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

they do make some little chrome covered plastic snap in covers, just fort hose holes. try your dealer or local indy shop. I agree about it looking better with them removed, but sometimes cool will get you hurt.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Smug
Hey guys, I took off the rear turn signals on my 07' Train. Obviously, I'm left with two holes in my fender struts. Does anybody know of a Co. that makes a cap that covers the holes up. Thank You
I have seen plugs also at the local HArley shop that plug holes, but its mainly for chrome pieces that have predrilled holes and that accessory is not being used and the plug caps it off. Remember to use hand signals and thats as good as any electric turn signal.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 AM
TW
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hand signals are still legal here in Illinois.

And your local dealer should have the snap-in covers.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:58 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

[QUOTE=oct1949;5918326]
Originally Posted by Smug
Yeah they are, but it's not illegal till ya get caught. Hey DB did you get that pipe yet?[/QUOTE]

__________________________________________________ ________
Great play of words....

Sorry but Illegal is Illegal,,,, it doesn't become Illegal when U get caught. U'll get caught because it is Illegal.

Not only do they let people behind U know Ur going to turn, they also make U more visible so others can see U better. looking cool is one thing but I'd rather be safe than lying in the Hospital thinking I got whacked because I took off the lights on the rear...

They make all kinds of turn light kits that look good and still be within the law and help U be seen....

Okay, nuff said, now go do Ur thing..........
I haven't removed mine but never use them. I use hand signals and have done so many times in front of LEO's and never had a problem. Do the the laws actually say you have to have them on the bike if it came with them...or you just have to signal a turn or lane change?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Just got off the phone with the Arizona Dept of Public Safety AKA...Highway patrol. Spoke to a SGT that told me that if they came on the bike from the factory they should be on the bike then he said "But"....If you are modifying the bike to make it a custom then it's OK to remove the signals.

When I asked what defines a custom he answered that it could be as simple as a custom paint job. Some other officer might look at it differently so I guess I'm still confused.

He did make it clear that he personally feels it's not a safe thing to do stating that a person on a scooter usually only gets run over from behind "once".

Made sense to me.

Quick Reply: Some Help Please