Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM
josh_m_0509
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light!

So, I know that there is a probably a ton of reasons why this happened, and I haven't been able to mess with reading the code, but let me explain what happened...

A few weeks ago I finally decided to put in some fuel stabilizer, so after I filled the tank and did so, I was going to run the bike for a few min to get it worked through the fuel system.... but it wouldn't turn over. It would crank, but the check engine light would go on after a couple seconds.
It has been pretty cold here the past 2 months or so, but I haven't had this problem before.
I'll have to wait until it gets warmer out to go playing in the garage and read the code to find out for sure, but does anyone have any ideas what would cause this?
The only thing I can think of, is that a few weeks prior I went out riding and ended up getting caught in some rain. I have an exposed air cleaner, and I suppose there is the chance that some moisture could have gotten in, but after I got out of the rain, I probably rode a total of over 100 miles or so, so wouldnt the water have gotten "burned" out by that time?
The bike is an '04 standard softail FI by the way...

Old 01-03-2010, 12:03 PM
mke125125
Road Captain

low battery could cause it. you said it was cold and the bike has been sitting, i would check the batt. first.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:38 PM
josh_m_0509
Intermediate

I just pulled the batt off the charger minutes before though, and the charger said it was fully charged. I didn't have it in the bike for awhile, due to the cold snap we got early here.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know how this sounds BUT- i was trying to start my wifes bike a while back and forgot to turn on the fuel -DOH- after i felt like a dumb ***

Old 01-03-2010, 04:23 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Was the engine run switch on? Start with the very basics. Check all the fuses.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 AM
FLSTC4ME
Cruiser

My bike would easily start w/ my 5yr old battery but I could tell it was finally getting weak. My light would come on too. After I changed the battery is hasn't come on since.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

read the codes

Old 01-04-2010, 10:11 AM
josh_m_0509
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLSTC4ME
My bike would easily start w/ my 5yr old battery but I could tell it was finally getting weak. My light would come on too. After I changed the battery is hasn't come on since.
Hmm... I've kinda been thinking that a new battery is probably in my near future... but would that cause the engine code to light up, even if my charger says fully charged?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Check,clean and dielectric grease all connections on battery and frame grounds also.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:15 PM
firecwp
Tourer

Just because your battery reads in a good range doesn't mean that it is good. If the battery is bad it can still read good, but fail under a load. I am going through the same problem. Take the battery out and take it to someone who can load test it. A load tester is a set of cables hooked up to a heater w/ a volt meter. When the button is squeezed the battery heats up the heater and you can see on the meter the voltage drop. How much it drops and how it recovers proves if the battery is good or not. A low battery does throw out a code and service engine light will come on. Continuously trying to start your bike with a low battery can gauld your starter due to kickback of the flywheel. After you get a new battery the code will still come up as a "history," code. If you plug in your bike you can erase the history so it won't show up anymore unless it is a new one. I'd load test and plug in before I did anything else.

Quick Reply: Check engine light!