Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mammoth fat spoke wheels any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinred
I use to own some fat spoke ride wrights. Best thing I can tell you is elbow grease and a rag and a cold one to help with the time. Spray it with wheel cleaner when washing adn then pull it in and detail on a stand so you can turn the wheel. Don't know of an easier way. There are some cool attachments on drills, but I never tried em.
Walmart sells a gun cleaning soft brush, that will not scratch chrome. And its narrow enough to get in between the spokes. I would take some hot soapy water and clean with the brush. I never had ONE scratch on my wheels. Then afterwards, when they are COMPLETELY dried, I would spray some Meguires or Ice detailer spray on them, it acts like a wax and road grim wont stick. Makes cleaning them alot easier next time.

I have detailed several show winners over the years and this is what I do.

Thats what I did, and it worked for me and my clients.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:59 PM
FatboyDilbert
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any updates to DNA wheels .. i have some on order ... sadly before i read this ...... and am now worried

Old 06-17-2015, 01:31 PM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 06-17-2015, 02:37 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

my buddy has/had a DNO fat spoke and it looks and worked great till he ate a massive pothole over the weekend. so he is getting a new one shipped out this week. it was all chrome, perfect condition. it was one of the new ones with the special sealer in them and it never leaked air. so the product wasn't so bad. i cannot speak for customer service...

he ordered and dealt with american classic motors in pa i think.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:46 PM
raleigh111
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dna

Have a 21 on front and 16 on rear. 3000 miles no problems. Look good and price was great. Just my experience.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:03 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't do it dude. Sucks you already ordered them. But it's worth paying the extra dough for the ride wrights. With them you know you'll get good quality.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:35 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

There are good and bad reviews on this forum even for quality wheels like Ride Wright. There was a recent thread from a person pissed off about DNA's customer service although he went through a reseller. He posted pics of his black powder coated wheel...pretty bad. I have not read too much bad things about the chrome wheels, but there are some. I purchased a 21" chrome DNA Mammoth and the wheel and hub were flawless. Even if the wheel is sealed and the tire is tubeless, suggest you install a tube. Mine went flat overnight so installed a tube and no problems since. I went direct and have not had any problems so can't say much about customer service....BUT in communicating with DNA, I could sense that if you have issues with the wheel, you may encounter hesitance and lack of response in resolving those issues. For example, I asked pointed questions about the return policy for defective wheels and did not get a response.
Since you already ordered your wheels, just hope for the best. Hopefully, the reseller inspects the wheels before they ship.

Last edited by hscic; 06-19-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:22 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Not doubting your word, but how was it that you dealt with DNA directly whereas they informed another member here that they do not sell direct?

You asked about the return policy and received no response? I am assuming this was via email. That would have been enough for me to look elsewhere. But glad your experience was satisfactory.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:42 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
Not doubting your word, but how was it that you dealt with DNA directly whereas they informed another member here that they do not sell direct?

You asked about the return policy and received no response? I am assuming this was via email. That would have been enough for me to look elsewhere. But glad your experience was satisfactory.
Yes, strictly via email....which I prefer as it provides me with quotes and promises in writing. I must have been one of the lucky ones to have dealt with them directly as I heard you couldn't. And yes no response to my question on return was definitely a red flag but I also received a quote directly from Ride Wright and did not want to pay twice as much so took a chance.
I was inquiring about the product via their website and received a response from Paul Choi who must have been the owner/principal of DNA Specialties. I was interested in three products (wheel, rotor, tire) and told him quotes I received from other resellers (one of which was KC International) who were rude with poor customer service. To my surprise, he provided a good package deal so I told him do it...he sent me a paypal invoice via email to make payment and items were shipped about a week later. Had the wheel installed by the local harley dealership since wanted to make sure wheel had proper spacing, alignment, and fender clearance, and items were up to their standards since I still have 3 years on my extended warranty remaining at 54K miles. The only problem I encountered was the tire went flat overnight so they suggested I purchase and install a tube so had them do it. I have a good relationship with service (and parts) staff at the dealership and they would have told me if the wheel was defective or unsafe

Last edited by hscic; 06-21-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:07 AM
rockerz
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No leaks, but powder coating starting to flake off in a couple spots