Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker tail light

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:51 AM
finnrocker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker tail light

I installed side mount license plate holder and now the original (center) tail light looks just stoopid. Anyone changed that to something else?
I'm gonna keep the original fender for now and I was thinking of installing Sparto-style (as on Street bob) tail light. Or do you guys have other great ideas?
European models have tail and brake light on the same lamp on fender and turn signals are just turn signals. I also don't want to put the tail light to the side with license plate.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:05 AM
HD100
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by finnrocker
I installed side mount license plate holder and now the original (center) tail light looks just stoopid. Anyone changed that to something else?
I'm gonna keep the original fender for now and I was thinking of installing Sparto-style (as on Street bob) tail light. Or do you guys have other great ideas?
European models have tail and brake light on the same lamp on fender and turn signals are just turn signals. I also don't want to put the tail light to the side with license plate.
I put on the Kellermann 1000DF, they include turn signal, brake-and tail light in a small housing, looks very clean.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 AM
finnrocker
Intermediate

I was thinking those also, but I'm gonna keep the original fender and I think that all those covers (for example Kuryakyn License Plate Mounting Hole Cover) are ugly and don't make the bike look any better than keeping the original tail light...

Did you need to make any changes to bikes electrical system or did you just join the wires to original wires?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 AM
HD100
Cruiser

Originally Posted by finnrocker
Did you need to make any changes to bikes electrical system or did you just join the wires to original wires?
No, you don't have to make any changes to the electrical system, just connecting the original wires.
The only thing is, if you use 4 LED turn signals, then you have to use a resistor.
What do you think of closing the holes with some chrome screws or these allen hole plugs? A friend of mine did it, looks not bad.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 AM
finnrocker
Intermediate

Not sure yet. I was thinking of using some spike bolts, but chromed allen bolts would be fine too.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a chrome emblem meant for a Ford Harley truck and a plug button chrome for a 1/2 inch hole to cover the holes left.
The emblem isn't a perfect match for the tank emblems but looks close enough for me.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:15 AM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HD100
No, you don't have to make any changes to the electrical system, just connecting the original wires.
The only thing is, if you use 4 LED turn signals, then you have to use a resistor.
What do you think of closing the holes with some chrome screws or these allen hole plugs? A friend of mine did it, looks not bad.
Hi, I have the kuryakyn side mount license plate…but I have not hookup the wiring yet…

to connect to the original wires… did you connect under the fender or under the seat?

whats the easiest way to find the wires under the seat… I'm going to remove the seat to install a load equalizer… thanks.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:33 PM
HD100
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HDFan0611

to connect to the original wires… did you connect under the fender or under the seat?
Hi, I made a connection outside the fender.
Rocker tail light-pic.jpg

Old 05-06-2014, 05:15 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

OK…thanks.

Cool looking bike…

Do you have more pictures? I'm trying to figure out what you did… I found the wiring diagram of the fender…and I can re-route the middle channel and make a connector like you did… see pic.

Attached Thumbnails Rocker tail light-fender-wiring.jpg  

Last edited by HDFan0611; 05-06-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:26 PM
HD100
Cruiser

I used completely new wires starting from the connector. (No.5)
Sorry, I don’t have more pics.

Quick Reply: Rocker tail light