Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy pics with Heritage bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 PM
CJinNH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy pics with Heritage bars?

I've finally found a bike... 2003 Fatboy, mint, at a great price. Sat on it today...I guess I've never sat on a fatty with stock bars. I hate 'em. I love the reach of the heritage, more relaxed position. How tough is it to make this switch? I've searched the forum and most talk about putting apes on. Anyone have pics of their fatboy with heritage bars? Curious how they look. Or is there another option (besides apes) that gives you a more relaxed seating position. I might buy this bike tomorrw...I have been looking at Fatty's and Heritage's, the Heritage seems to suit me more, but I love the looks of the fatboy.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

To swap the bars is very simple. If you want to run the wiring internally it is a bit more work. I don't think the Heritage bars are drilled for internal wiring but i am sure it could be done. I would buy some larger diameter nice chrome bars like a set of apes, but I have always run apes. You could also get some T-bars like a 10" Wild 1 or West Coast T-bar. I can get you all of this stuff, let me know what you need. Also, with Heritage bars it would make sense to get some polyurethane riser bushings to go with that style of bar.

Drew

Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're going to go through the trouble of switching bars I'd go with an 1" 1/4. Looks far better on the FB and just about any other bike. Check out the Wild1 site. If you're an apes person the 12.5" are nice and as I recall they also make a mini ape similar to the Heritage but with more pullback. I almost got the 12.5" but I decided they didn't have enough pb and plus I don't think I'm a ape person.

My dealer quoted me 6-8hrs labor to swap my wife's out. I decided to do it myself. Basic tools, service manual, the internet, and a step by step methodical approach is all that's needed.

Wouldn't have taken it on as a first bike project but after tinkering on the bike and having the gas tank off a couple of times for this and that I felt comfortable enough to give it a shot.

Actually if I were in your shoes I'd get the bike I wanted and then take my time researching and deciding what handlebars fit me the best. You wanna get it right the first time.

My wife was anxious to get new bars too and everytime she'd see some she liked she'd bug me to get them for her. I kept telling her yeah they're nice but do they fit you, I'm not swapping bars twice. Our (my) patience paid off and she now has the perfect bars on her Deluxe. Now it's my turn

Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 PM
rastajacob
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i would be happy to see this as well...

Old 10-19-2010, 10:13 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Just buy the Heritage and be done with it. I also liked the FB but, like you, I disliked the bars and felt the Heritage bar was much more comfortable for my height and arm reach.

Changing out the bars is a big job and then if you eventually want to sell it, you may have problems if someone is looking for the FB with the stock bars.

Just get the Heritage...I did.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
Just buy the Heritage and be done with it. I also liked the FB but, like you, I disliked the bars and felt the Heritage bar was much more comfortable for my height and arm reach.

Changing out the bars is a big job and then if you eventually want to sell it, you may have problems if someone is looking for the FB with the stock bars.

Just get the Heritage...I did.
+1. Then if you want a pseudo 'fatboy' just pop off the windshield and take off the bags!

Old 10-20-2010, 03:50 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CJinNH
Anyone have pics of their fatboy with heritage bars? Curious how they look.
IIRC, KumaRide (do a member search) has Heritage bars on his Fatboy. Check his photo's. They are the shorter (pre-2009) Heritage bars.
Originally Posted by CJinNH
How tough is it to make this switch?
It aint rocket science. Many here have swapped out bars. Just takes a little time (a weekend) and patience.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:56 AM
Heritage632
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

09 and up have 10" mini apes. Before 09 was a different style. If I were you, I'd go with 10" mini apes from Wild 1 (I have 12.5" on my Heritage). The 10" mini apes will put your hands about the same height as pre 09 Heritage bars and they have more pullback. I'd also consider the 8.5" Baby Apes as well. I have an 07 so those are the Heitage style bars I am referring to with regards to height or rise.

Last edited by Heritage632; 10-20-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:58 AM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Did my bars two weekends ago. It took around 4 hours with internal wires and a few beer breaks. Nothing to it at all. On the fat boy you do not need to remove the tank, just the two bolts and unhook the fuel line at the quick connect then slide it back. Plenty of room to get at the wires. It really is a simple job.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:10 AM
06flstf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had an indy put a set of heritage bars on my 06 Fatboy, he charged me $50. I really like them better than the original fatboy bars. Not a big fan of apes but these are still low enough that its comfortable to ride.

Quick Reply: Fatboy pics with Heritage bars?