Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let the Mods begin - XBones Bobber

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:46 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MCSarge
Looks good so far. The only thing I would do is change the angle of how the bracket for the fender mounts to allow the rear fender to set evenly top and bottom. Right now it looks like it is closer at the top to the tire and it's leaving a bigger gap that is really noticeable at the bottom of the fender. Really like where you are going with this.
Yeah I agree. The problem is that I paid $40 for it. The radius of the tire and the radius of the fender are not the same. I've trimmed and trimmed, trying to balance out the look. It is what it is. I hope it will look fine when its finished. Tomorrows another day.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:54 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Today I'm addressing the gap at the front of the rear fender. I'm welding in some more metal. This is realy taxing my welding ability. I'll show pics tonight.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

My welding sucks!

I spent all day fixing my rear fender. Good thing Bondo.

The only other thing I got done was a new Jockey shift bracket. The one on the left was my first effort. The one on the right is my new one. Tomorrow I'll find out if it works.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:26 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Looks like things are really coming along. I can't wait to see the final result. Progression as it comes is very exciting!

I am impressed that you are attempting all this yourself. I am planning on buying pre-made parts when I get there. Your skills are WAY beyond me.

Your second bracket looks good! I look forward to hearing how it fits.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DocJ
Looks like things are really coming along. I can't wait to see the final result. Progression as it comes is very exciting!

I am impressed that you are attempting all this yourself. I am planning on buying pre-made parts when I get there. Your skills are WAY beyond me.

Your second bracket looks good! I look forward to hearing how it fits.
Yeah, I did that 7 years ago with my '01 FXST. I moded it out with chromed purchased parts, and powder coated my tins with someting called "mountain dew". I got compliments every time I stopped. That was great.

I traded in a perfectly good bike with 38,300 miles for an xbones (I told my wife it was perfect the way it came). I just read that to her and she is shaking her head and rolling her eyes.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:45 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Been working on the fender. Got it fixed. The sissy bar is going to support the fender. The tail lights are going to connect the sissy bar to the fender, and the license plate is going to be attached to the sissy bar. I've been welding today, pictures when it all comes together.

After reading all of the posts about relocating the ECM to behind the battery, I took another shot at it. I spent probably 2 hours working on it, but I think it will work.

I ended up cutting every zip tie I could find, and removing all of the oil tank bolts. I seperated the wires to the ECM into 2 groups, the ones from under the oil tank, and the ones coming from the front. I tied each group of wires together and then was able to move things around enough to squeeze the ECM plug down to the back splash area. Since everthing was loose, I the had to tie every thing back together. What a PITA!!!!!!!!

Tommorow is front end wiring for the running lights. OBTW, I have a new azure headlight on the way. Sposed to be here on Monday (taking that for a vacation day too).

Old 12-10-2010, 11:04 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 12-11-2010, 11:51 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

nice job!! keep up the good work!

Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Adammit
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very handy work. Looking forward to seeing it finished up.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:58 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Yesterday was productive. Today is my wifes birthday party. She's cooking while I goof off here. They don't mak'm like that anymore.

Tomorrow's a vacation day. More progress... I hope.

Quick Reply: Let the Mods begin - XBones Bobber