Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rush Slip-ons

Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM
FulltimeRVer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rush Slip-ons

Just put a set with 2.25" baffles on my stock 2010 Heritage. Put about 50 miles on it. The bike runs great but is too loud to suite me. Anyone know if it will be significantly quiter with 1.5" baffles? Also I think I read here that Rush recommends the 2.25 baffles for my bike - what effect will the 1.5" have on the way it runs? Oh and BTW I just ordered the tips so they are not on now but don't think that should make any difference.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 PM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the precess of doing sonmething similar. I started with 3.5" dual rush muffler with 1.75" baffles. Those were to quiet and I wasn't real happy with the tone more than the volume. I went to 2.0" baffles and like the sound better. How loud the pipes are is so subjective, but you might be disappointed going to the 1.5". I'm not sure on the way it will affect the bike running. I've been told that going a 1/4" won't hurt anything, but not sure about .75" smaller on the baffles.

I'm looking for tips for mine and like the fishtails. I've been trying to determine if that will effect the performance but haven't gotten much info yet. Mine has a 95" kit and has been dyno tuned so I don't want to have to do that over.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by FulltimeRVer
Just put a set with 2.25" baffles on my stock 2010 Heritage. Put about 50 miles on it. The bike runs great but is too loud to suite me. Anyone know if it will be significantly quiter with 1.5" baffles? Also I think I read here that Rush recommends the 2.25 baffles for my bike - what effect will the 1.5" have on the way it runs? Oh and BTW I just ordered the tips so they are not on now but don't think that should make any difference.

I thinking U didn't do any research....

I've put in here for 5yrs that a stock motor shouldn't go over the 2" baffles.

Back in 07-08 Even Rush said the 2'' would be fine, BUT not bigger on a stock motor. In the last 3yrs when I've talked to a TECH at RUSH, even they recommend the 1 3/4 unless U have motor mods.

The 2'' is perfect with stg1 and cams which is what I did and have now.
Any bigger will usually result in louder pipes and lower TQ in the lower RPM's

U'r baffles are bigger than Ur header pipes, so it will be hard to get any back pressure for good low end performance.

If U don't have motor mods I'd suggest buying a pair of 1 3/4'' baffles unless U add cams, then the 2'' baffles would be max.... Just my $.02. according to all the talks I've had with Rush over the last 5yrs.

The 2's are IMO the best all-around baffles.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:54 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Rush was my first exhaust mod. I ran 2.0, 1.75, and 1.5. The 2.0 sound the best (set off car alarms), but can be too loud at times. 1.5 was too quiet. Go with 1.75 and you'll probably be happy. But that is just my opinion. Tone and volume are very subjective, keep that in mind when asking for opinions. The only way to know for sure is to buy the baffles and experiment.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using 1.75" and liked the sound at first. They burned out some and got a little louder as time went on. You might want to pull the baffles, replack them with fiberglass wrap, and try it again. I think I'm going to do that myself. Rush is a quality piece though. Been happy with them.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 AM
FulltimeRVer
Novice

I'm hoping the guy from Rush will respond but I do believe I read here that Rush recommended the 2.25" for my bike. Thanks to all that responded.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:53 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been running the 1.75s with a K&N AC on a stock motor for 3 years with no ill effects. In side by side tests with my wife's unmodified 08 Deluxe the bike ran no hotter than hers.

I like the sound but sometimes even they are too loud for my taste especially after the fiberglass packing burns out. I've repacked mine twice.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:51 PM
cmosentine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running 1.75 inch Rush with K&N Stage 1 and SERT. I was thinking of going larger but the pipes sound good to me, so why bother. When I researched mine, I talked to Rush and they recommended no larger that 2.0 inch on a stock motor. Any bigger and a SERT would be needed (according to Rush).

Old 01-26-2012, 02:25 PM
punisher660
Tourer

OK - not to sound like a total goon, but I bought my Rush slipons used - how do I know what size baffle is in there, and exactly which part IS the baffle?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:05 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by punisher660
OK - not to sound like a total goon, but I bought my Rush slipons used - how do I know what size baffle is in there, and exactly which part IS the baffle?
It's the guts of the muffler. There is 1 screw holding it in. Remove that and pull them out. Measure the inside diameter of the baffle for the size.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rush Slip-ons