Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ping, ping, ping...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:18 AM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Although it would be nice to see the actual timing, when trying to eliminate a ping it's not really necessary. What's the difference if it's 42 deg, 44 deg, 46 deg, etc.? Bottom line is you need to remove some until the ping subsides.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Pay attention to throttle position (estimated) and RPM and you should be able to eliminate the ping. That's exactly the process I used to eliminate my ping. Just for a reference, I've attached a copy of my PCV timing table. Not saying my table would work for you, but rather just to give you an idea of what I needed to do for my bike.
Thanks for help, and the map. I'm sure I'll have it running good soon enough if I can ever get the time to work at it. I'm thinking there will be new cams put in her in the near future. Just pisses me off that the dealer so strongly recommended this set-up, but I guess I should know better then to not do my own homework first. I love the low end power I get, but it's just not worth it...

Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, I finally had a bit of time to work at the bike over the weekend. I've been pulling back the timing everywhere I hear a ping, and have pretty much gotten rid of it. I took it to work today and couldn't hear a ping at all, although I had no windshield on, so I couldn't hear much of anything. If nothing else, I'm on the verge of being ping free, and the bike is actually still running great. I was having trouble with getting a miss every time I tried to pull back timing, but with a bit of work on the whole timing curve, I've been having pretty good success. Thanks for all your help guys, I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
Well, I finally had a bit of time to work at the bike over the weekend. I've been pulling back the timing everywhere I hear a ping, and have pretty much gotten rid of it. I took it to work today and couldn't hear a ping at all, although I had no windshield on, so I couldn't hear much of anything. If nothing else, I'm on the verge of being ping free, and the bike is actually still running great. I was having trouble with getting a miss every time I tried to pull back timing, but with a bit of work on the whole timing curve, I've been having pretty good success. Thanks for all your help guys, I'll keep you posted.
Glad to hear you've got it just about dialed-in. How much timing did you end up taking out?

I actually took my bike for a 100 mile test run today. The temperature was around 90 deg today and this was my first chance to test it in fairly high temperatures. I heard a slight, occassional ping around 2750 to 3000 RPM cruising in 5th & 6th gear on uphill grades. I may take out one more degree at all throttle positions at 2750 and 3000 RPM. Then again, I may just leave it as is because it is really minor and only occurs on uphill grades. I can always work around those kind of conditions by slowing and downshifting when neccessary.

Last edited by 2black1s; 05-23-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

I notice on mine that I hear more motor noise with the shield on VS it being off.

Also seems that If I put a helmet on with the shield on and I can hear even more.

Call it echo or bouncing back, but it does increase what U hear.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't know if your still having any issues or not, but I was talking to a pretty good local Indy the other day, and he said he has had a lot of bikes come in with pinging problems lately. He said the common problem with the 96s and the 103s is carbon build up. He didn't know why, but he said it raises the Compression ratio and causes the pinging. I don't know if this helps you, and I hope it's not true (as mine is a 96er), but I thought I would throw it out there.