Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Week Since Dyno Tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 02:49 PM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One Week Since Dyno Tune

It's been one week since I had my bike dyno tuned via my PCV.

I'm running SE II replica slip ons and a Hammer Performance 2" air cleaner. I ordered the PCV on eBay from Fuel Moto and they loaded it with a map for my setup. Can't say I noticed a big difference with the PCV, maybe the throttle response was a little tighter.

I brought my bike over to Dr. Dyno and he did a few baseline runs and said the Fuel Moto tune was pretty good. The AFR was a little out of whack which was expected when just approximating maps, but still much better than stock. The dyno tuner cleaned it up so that closed loop sits right at 14 during a cruise and between 13 and 14 during WOT.

He told me, and I've read all over, that a trick to eliminate decel pop is to give the bike fuel at 0% throttle, so he did, and he also increased the timing at 0% throttle. I do still get a pop or two every now and then. Maybe 5 during my 20 minute ride to work.

Today was my first fill up and I was at 37 MPG. I have recently been hitting right around 42 MPG and that includes pre and post Fuel Moto map. I don't think I ran it extra hard to kill 5 MPG. Same routes and style except maybe one or two hard runs to try and see a difference pre and post dyno.

The dyno tuner only adjusted the fuel tables and the timing as I mentioned earlier. Not sure what else there is that could be changed.

Here are my charts for cruise (didn't run at the same throttle positions) and WOT.
For cruise, blue = Fuel Moto, red = stock, green = Dyno Tune
For WOT, blue = Fuel Moto, red = Dyno Tune

- What's the fluttering at 2-2.5K?
- Assuming the dip around 3.5K is from my slip ons?
- Didn't think I should expect such a drastic drop in MPG. I do get a strong gas smell when I start it up and it does seem to idle higher until its up to operating temp.

All in all, I almost prefer the Fuel Moto map.

Last edited by ripto; 09-01-2017 at 02:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HKMark23 (09-03-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 03:07 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I don't know. My 883 with a similar configuration as yours but a carb, gets 50 mpg pretty much however I ride it. And that's with 45/180 jetting.

John

Old 09-01-2017, 03:08 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Looks good for stage 1.

You are giving the bike more fuel with the dyno. There's your lower mpg numbers.

fuel moto have beat the XL stage 1 to death from just about every conceivable angle. I'm pretty sure they have it down to a science at this point and probably are better out of the box.

screw all the numbers crap. Is your ride/power delivery smoother? Less fidgety?💪

Last edited by cvaria; 09-01-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:27 PM
onelocoman
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey ripto thanks for this post. Interesting. I have read almost all the stuff from Dr. Dyno he seems like he knows his stuff. I would like to see your AFR and Spark advance tables. I am sure he probably adjusted your VE tables. Do you have the stock O2 sensors or did you add the VB sensors? I asked because if you have the stock NB sensors I am curious is to how he set a 14.0 AFR to run closed loop.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:28 PM
onelocoman
Tourer

I mean wideband sensors no VB.....typo

Old 09-01-2017, 04:05 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

To be honest, 14:1 at cruise is super rich, no doubt you're getting jack gas mileage. No need to be that fat at super low throttle openings. You can run 14.5-14.7 and experience no ill issues while keeping good mileage.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:23 PM
ripto
Road Master

Originally Posted by cvaria
Looks good for stage 1.

You are giving the bike more fuel with the dyno. There's your lower mpg numbers.

fuel moto have beat the XL stage 1 to death from just about every conceivable angle. I'm pretty sure they have it down to a science at this point and probably are better out of the box.

screw all the numbers crap. Is your ride/power delivery smoother? Less fidgety?💪
It does feel like it reacts better when I twist the throttle going from nothing to Fuel Moto. From Fuel Moto to Dyno I can't really tell much.

Originally Posted by onelocoman
Hey ripto thanks for this post. Interesting. I have read almost all the stuff from Dr. Dyno he seems like he knows his stuff. I would like to see your AFR and Spark advance tables. I am sure he probably adjusted your VE tables. Do you have the stock O2 sensors or did you add the VB sensors? I asked because if you have the stock NB sensors I am curious is to how he set a 14.0 AFR to run closed loop.
I watched him do all the tuning, he adjusted the fuel cells throughout the RPM/throttle position chart. He did about 30 or so runs to get it to that 14 AFR. Those are the only two charts that I have, the power numbers and the AFR. I have the stock O2 sensors but you disconnect them with the PCV, so right now they aren't hooked up to the ECM.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:12 PM
ripto
Road Master

Originally Posted by cvaria
That's not really the case though. Look at the Fuel Moto runs. They are richer than the dyno tune runs.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:35 PM
onelocoman
Tourer

Originally Posted by ripto
I brought my bike over to Dr. Dyno and he did a few baseline runs and said the Fuel Moto tune was pretty good. The AFR was a little out of whack which was expected when just approximating maps, but still much better than stock. The dyno tuner cleaned it up so that closed loop sits right at 14 during a cruise and between 13 and 14 during WOT.
The dyno tuner only adjusted the fuel tables and the timing as I mentioned earlier. Not sure what else there is that could be changed.
If you are not running wide band O2 sensors then your always in open loop at an AFR of 14.0. There are tons of post on here about this check them out. But any cell in your AFR table not set to 14.6 is open loop. Unless you run the same gas all the time you Dyno tuned your bike too you could potentially run alot leaner than 14.0.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:13 PM
ripto
Road Master

Don't those two AFR charts prove I'm not always at 14.6?

Last edited by ripto; 09-02-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: One Week Since Dyno Tune