Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ping, ping, ping...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts
Default ping, ping, ping...

Ok, I've had enough!! I've got the timing set back 2 degrees, I'm running a AFR of 13 From 40% TP and up, I'm running hightest fuel with additives, and I still ping when I hit the throttle. ANYONE have ANY ideas?? I even went back to stock spark plugs, tried unhooking my temp sensor on the advice of the local harley dealer, and I just have no ideas left. Nothing makes ANY difference.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Are those Longshots? Running baffles or open? If open I suggest a baffle of some sort. Just a WAG. I was having all kinds of troubles til i put in a lollypop type insert.
Ooops. just made your V&H BSL note. Still....

Last edited by QC; 05-14-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Looks like youre using a pcv/auto - get a real tune, dyno. Or, shift at higher rpm's. Maybe fuel moto has a map of a similar build you can try.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I had to take out as much as 4 degrees to eliminate the pinging on my stock 103.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
Ok, I've had enough!! I've got the timing set back 2 degrees, I'm running a AFR of 13 From 40% TP and up, I'm running hightest fuel with additives, and I still ping when I hit the throttle. ANYONE have ANY ideas?? I even went back to stock spark plugs, tried unhooking my temp sensor on the advice of the local harley dealer, and I just have no ideas left. Nothing makes ANY difference.
What's your compression ratio? What exactly are you calling your highest fuel octane rating? Have you considered a different set of cams. I remember reading somewhere a while back about 103 builds pinging with the 255 cams.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When do you shift, rpm? speed? if you shift at too low aan rpm you will get ping and never get it out. 255's in an engine will build higher cyl pressure. whats the ccp? Didn't you have the same problem last year? You also have the stage 1 upgrade in the program which changes the ing curve and rpm limiter. Maybe try 100 oct unleaded race fuel. If you shift at too low an rpm or fail to downshift then it will ping no matter what you use. Ping is caused by too much heat in the combustion chamber and the fuel mixture burning too fast..ie. mixture ingniting from both sides worse case is a knock. Basicly not enough info to diag this problem over the web with the info you are giving up.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong but if your CR goes over 11.5:1 you need to be running atleast 100 octane race fuel as BLK&Chrome pointed out. Sometimes installing thicker head gaskets will lower your compression ratio and get rid of the ping. You will not know your CR without testing.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Seems like just a week or two ago there was another member getting a lot of ping and it was general opinion that the 255's was the cause.

Might talk to a couple of the better builders around and see what their thoughts are on Ur built combo and if it needs tweated.

In all the yrs I've been in here there is one member who's motor builds opinions/knowledge is highly though of.

U might start with Dalton, give him a pm and have a little chat with him.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...17-dalton.html

Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 AM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

There are no tuners within 5 hours from home or I would have got it done by now. As far as fuel goes, I'm running 98. I do shift at a pretty decent rpm, and get the ping at any rpm when I really hit the throttle so that doesn't seem to be the issue. I guess it could be the cam, but I would think that this problem would be a lot more common seeing as that cam is one of the most common ones installed with HD's 103 big bore kit...

Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I still think it's your tuner. 98 octane fuel? 93 is about the best we find here unless you go to race fuel. If indeed you have 98 fuel and it still pings take the auto tune crap off and dial some fuel and cut a little timing. what is your target AFR? I have to say that you are looking for the magic bullet to fix this and you are not telling all the facts needed to diag this problem. Or just call Jamie at fuel moto and let him walk you through it. Thats his tuner he markets. He knows more about them than most.

Last edited by Blk and Chrome; 05-16-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: ping, ping, ping...