Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Master Cylinder ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM
wiktor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Master Cylinder ?

Anyone know of a quality front master cylinder that would fit my 2011 Fatboy? I'm tired of watching for seeping brake fluid from the cap, started leaking from the brake lever plunger, had it rebuilt and I still see slight weeping from the seals around the plunger. Just looking for a quality MC for my bike. Haven't seen any that fit a Softail.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM
newoldschool
Advanced

performance machine? i don't know. but I'm sure someone out there makes one for bike. have you tried any aftermarket sites, like J&P cycles?

Old 07-17-2013, 04:13 PM
wiktor
Tourer

Thanks for the reply!Performance doesn't make one to fit and JP has a pretty cheap replacement that fits, don't know about it's quality.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:39 PM
DDuess
Road Captain

When I got my Deuce it had a non-OEM chrome front master cylinder on it, and it has not given a spec of trouble in 6 years. I don't know what brand it is, i think it is a jP replacement, but I would try a non OEM one from JP.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:54 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by wiktor
...quality front master cylinder... Haven't seen any that fit a Softail.
I've never had any problem with stock MC's on my bikes.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:57 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Might just be me, but the Harley chrome topper seems to not leak as the stock black one did. Looks a lot better too!

Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 PM
wiktor
Tourer

I changed to a chrome top and agree, seems to be a lot better than the black cap. Right now I just have issues with the plunger leaking.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 AM
mag11581
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Might just be me, but the Harley chrome topper seems to not leak as the stock black one did. Looks a lot better too!
I wish I had known that the chrome tops didn't weep like the stock black ones. Kept saying to myself I would change it to chrome for the look, but never got around to it. Now the top edge of my front m/c is all bubbled up.
Looks like ****.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

If it is leaking the screws are too tight for the cap.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is just me, personally and my preferences. I always try to stay with Harley parts. If I go "aftermarket" on parts it is only because Harley does not make what I want or need, like the Shotgun or gas front tubs rather than springs. I also agree that if it keeps leaking it could very well be that it is too tight. I think I would try getting a new gasket or the rubber piece that seals it and retighten it and try it again. It may be just that simple to fix and far less expensive. Bubbling? WOW, that's a bummer Dude. I sure would do anything I had to do to fix that problem and keep it from happening again or letting it go and it gets any worse. I'm curious to see what you end up doing and if it worked or not for you. I'm going with internal wiring, cables and hoses so I will have hydraulic on both sides of my bars and it would freak me out if it leaked. We all know what brake or hydraulic fluid can do to a paint job.

Quick Reply: Front Master Cylinder ?