Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobra Fi2000

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 11:00 AM
CWBOY 5X
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra Fi2000

anybody use/try one?

got a co-worker who rides a street glide who is swearing by it.

he claims any modifications after I purchase this device would be bolt on and guy...no dyno charges...no remapping.

Thoughts?

Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 AM
rtbhise
Advanced

I used the Cobra Fi2000 on a bobber I built. I put wide open custom turn downs on the bike which caused it to pop and back fire. You have to learn the metrics of your bike and then this little device adjusts the air fuel mixture for your injectors with little tinkering. It probably takes two or three rides and adjusting before you find your comfy area but it stopped all of the back firing and made the bike run awesome. Super simple.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:14 AM
CWBOY 5X
Novice

the powerpro model requires zero modifications....plug it in and go....

Old 11-21-2013, 11:28 AM
rtbhise
Advanced

Yea, thats a better one than I had. I think that one has the CVT (continually variable tuning). Mine I had to adjust by hand. Works awesome though.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

The FI 2000 Powerpro is an interesting concept... using variations in speed from the crank sensor to determine how big a "push" the crankshaft got with each power stroke, and experimenting with fuel mixture until it gets the biggest push.

Wonder how well it works in practice, and if the bike still runs "closed loop" at lower throttle openings.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:03 PM
tccarl
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it on my '03 heritage springer with a set of Samson 33" fishtails. LOVE it! Tuned out all the decel popping. Really good bang for the buck IMO

Old 11-21-2013, 07:08 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have an 07 FXSTC with the FI2000 in it from Sept. 06. It has run perfect for 7 years now.

Since then I have used the FI2000R Closed Loop models on 7 of my other bikes. 10 Superglide, 10 Ultra, 11 XL1200L, 12 Vrod, 12 RGC, 12 RGC CVO and a 13 Street Bob.

None has ever had a problem and all performed as they should.

The bikes have less restrictive air cleaners and exhausts.

The FI2000 and 2000R are plug and play. No Dyno needed. They work downstream of the ECM. There are three adjustable pots that are preset to your set up by Cobra with their dyno experience. The uints are easy to understand. The first pot is like the pilot jet in a carb, the second pot is like the needle in a carb and the third pot is like the main jet.

I have never had to change the factory setting. I do not like the Cobra Pro model as it is over twice the cost of the regular version and only functions when the throttle is advanced. It does gain power but no more than the others. It does not function at idle or steady throttle which means the bike is running the lean burn 14.8 to 1 afr.

The FI2000 and 2000R provide a 12.8 to 1 all the time. So the engine runs not just stronger but cooler.

The base Cobra does not connect to the 02 sensors so it comes with what I call a dummy load to plug in the 02 lead. The next up model connects to the 02 and uses that info.

Best bang for the buck is the FI2000.

Dr Dyno did an article in a motorcycle mag a year or two ago and said a run on a dyno would provide info to adjust the pots.

But all of mine gained mph and stronger running so I have never felt the need to Dyno them.

The Vrod really responded to the programmer as did the 110.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:15 AM
fergml
Advanced

Timely topic as I have been using the Cobra since day 1 with V&H pipes and multiple styles of open air cleaners. No issues at all after 5,000 miles on my 2012 Slim.

Now the interesting part... I'm going to do a cam swap this winter and 4 separate dealers in my area all tell me that I will need to adjust the timing with a cam swap, which the Cobra will not do (only adjusts the fuel). So 100% of the dealers suggest a swap away from Cobra to a tuner that can handle timing if I do new cams.

Now according to Cobra, their unit will take care of 'any change' you make to your bike... including cams. Confusing as everyone has a different opinion.

Looking for someone who can verify/has done a cam swap with the Cobra on a Twin Cam 103.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:56 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

There's a bunch more ways to change Ur A/F now than a few yrs back.

They all have their purpose, just have to find out which one does what U need.

I seen reports in here on both sides of the coin about Corba tuners. But really the same can be said about any turner.

Do U own homework along with the info in here, then U'll probably feel better with Ur pic.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Low budget Dan
Road Master

Received 461 Likes on 233 Posts

i run the cobra on my heritage i ran it for a year with just stage one then did the heads, 95" with kieth black pistons andrews 31g gear drive t mann oil pump and it did as advertised.
the bike runs like a scalded dog. the bike is an 2002 with no 02 sensors so for me it was the best option

Last edited by Low budget Dan; 11-27-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: Cobra Fi2000