Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Cat or Road Rage Exhaust? Air Filter / Tuner Required At Same Time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 AM
Knuckles73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched to D&D Fatcats on my '04 softail about a month ago when I did a perfromance build. the orig FC pipes come in two versions as far as height. theres the reg softail version then theres a lower one for heritage per the specs, but it fits all softails as the frames are the same. I went with the lower version and only scraped when 2 up and cornering sharply. I don't care for the FC low that is upswept.
However...I am not sold on the sound totally...but its growing on me. as mentioned above, it does sound better when someone else is riding it than when in the drivers seat....to me. But for 20hp gain and 26tq increase...I am very happy with the performance.

If you do the pipes also change the air kit to a high flow kit. Then get it dyno by a tuner who "custom" tunes not just loads a canned map and does some BS runs...thats what my local HD does. I was lucky enough to find a student and performance shop nearby that trained under Doc...(forum search him) and I couldnt be happier. With my build...and I consider it mild... My old 88" can now run with my buddies stock 103... and then some.

Last edited by Knuckles73; 01-24-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:47 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Techgnosis
Actually, yeah it did, as it confirmed what I thought, which was do the whole thing at once.
Good choice.

Am I correct in assuming, for my usage, I only need a Power Commander V, and not the Auto Tune Kit module for it as well?
A PC-V is a great choice and you do not need the Auto Tune kit. You can use canned maps or have it tweaked on a dyno.

Why / where were the Fat Cats scraping. They look (heightwise) to be the same. As I am going to go with black on either pipe, why do you say chrome is better on the Fat Cats?
Fat Cats are low enough in some applications to scrape. The chrome quality compared to Bassani is what they are referring to.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Techgnosis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Knuckles73
the orig FC pipes come in two versions as far as height. theres the reg softail version then theres a lower one for heritage per the specs, but it fits all softails as the frames are the same.
Ahhh! I was wondering why folks kept mentioning the upsweep, as I just was not seeing it. Turns out I saw the thumbnail and rejected it out of hand as I want straight pipes (I intend to put hard bags on, hopefully this summer) and promptly forgot about it.

I'm kind of leaning twords the Basani's atm anyways. I really like the sound, a buddy of mine has it on his bike.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer

You can get Fat cats that are straight. They make 2 versions of the straight ones...for the lower one its the one for Heritage applications because of the bags...

Old 01-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out the RUSH 2:1 pipes before you buy. They look and sound awesome! Ceramic coating inside. They now have two models to choose from, both offered in black ceramic and chrome. Their newest model is a stepped exhaust.