Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xeids vs tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 PM
lateralus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xeids vs tuner

Well my long awaited tax returns have come which means its time to purchase an a/c to complete my stage 1 (already have bassani sweepers). Now I have read around about xeids or the power commander and I'm not quite sure which one would be best for me. I never plan on racing my bike or taking it to the track, I just want it to run smooth with any additional power I can get out of it. From what I've read I have come to the conclusion that the xeids would probably be best for me but what other perks come with something like the power commander?

Also where is the best place to purchase either of those?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 PM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Brief and simple, 1. if you're looking for a quick, inexpensive fix Xeids is your answer. 2. If you're looking for the Best way to get the Most out of your motor a Tuner & Dyno cannot be matched by the first option.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

"I just want it to run smooth with any additional power I can get out of it."

Tuner.

"From what I've read I have come to the conclusion that the xeids would probably be best for me but what other perks come with something like the power commander?"

XiED's.

[insert: sound of broken record, sorry, LOL] The two are like apples and Ferarri's; two totally different animals, one designed specifically with one and only one thing in mind - to fool your ECM into adding more fuel at a given rate, the other designed specifically to eliminate your lean factory condition, to give you better performance through proper air/fuel ratio values, maintain proper corresponding timing retard/advance at changing RPM's, smoother acceleration and deceleration, some have the ability to log data to later change to values you wish to experiment with to then reflash and road test, utilize custom MAPS for your current and/or changing engine configuration, display data on the fly, either piggy back to your ECM or flash tune like a Power Vision, to work as a tool for a tech to utilize in combination with a Dyno tune, etc. The cost and performance increase between the two reflect this reality.

Alot of people are completely satisfied with the XiED's. Alot of people are completly satisfied with their tuners. Apparently, for two different reasons!

Oh geez I wish I had a dollar every time this subject comes up - I'da had my 1250 bigbore kit installed already, hahahahahahaha!

=8^)

Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

when I first got the bike it had a low speed surge,everyone was talking air pipes tuner for stage 1,didn"t want to get into all that, so I put on the xieds,surge was gone bike ran better, next decieded to put a K&N stock air filter on it that gave me a little better milage and it was smoother yet,ran like that for a couple of years then got some rush slipons used cheap and put them on. bike still runs fine and still no tuner. going to change pipes next and see what happens, may have to put a tuner on maybe not

Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of people are under the impression that tuners are overkill for a simple stage one upgrade. I ran XEID's for 6 months and the bike ran "pretty good" I had the extra cash and found out that one of the best dyno tuners were just 12 miles from my house so I made an appointment and took off my XEID's the day I drove to the tuners shop. The bike still ran "pretty good" I picked it up late that afternoon and was amazed on the way home. I was expecting to have more pep, but I wasn't expecting it to run so smooth through all the gears...It was a night and day difference...This is what it cost me:
I split the cost of a 500 TTS 2 bike tuner....$250
Total cost of dyno tune:...........................$300
$550 total

Don't go through the expense of buying a tuner that just adjust fuel..you may as well just run the XEID's. A quality tuner adjust timing and tunes each cylinder individually.

If you know you are not going to do any more engine mods and you have a well known dyno tuner you can travel to, here is another option:

With both dynovison and TTS you can buy the license fee for 150-200 and use your dynotuners tuner and potentially get it all done for around 500 bucks.

Don't go cheep on the tune....It is whats running your bike. If done right, it will be the best thing you've ever done to your bike even if you are just cruising around town.

Why wouldn't you want your bike to run the best it can? It's not about racing (well it will do that much better too) It's about the cruisability of the bike you spent a lot of money on to buy in the first place.

Last edited by rooti; 02-20-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM
jmale1972
Road Master

When I bought my bike, the dealer gave me 20% off all parts, so I passed on the slipons and put a full exhaust system with new intake and tuner. My bike runs smooth as silk, no issues and cannot comment on xied's.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 PM
BaldHOG1222
Tourer

+1 to Rooti.....

If you haven't already, go to the link below and watch the video on the PowerVision. Had Xied's, wasn't happy....Currently have a Fuelpak....kind of happy but not totally. Can't wait to get a PowerVision. I haven't read about one person who wasn't happy about investing in one. You can get one for around $450 online.

http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/

Old 02-21-2013, 12:57 AM
brawner11
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have python slippons on my 11 nightster and I havdnt done anything else to it. Took it out for a ride last Saturday and only got 47 miles to a full tank I called the hd dealer and told them what I did and they asked if it had o2 sensors ... Well long story short the remaped my computer and changed the sensors and did screaming eagle stage 1 up grade ... $$489... Now that's cheap said if I don't plan on doing anything to motor that's what they recommend

Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Xieds do one thing: Lessen the already lean condition that gets magnified by higher flow pipes and a larger CFM A/C. It's a simple "fool" device. It's a resistor that sits midstream in the data path between O2 sensor and ECM. The whole O2 signal is based on a frequency that changes based on what the sensor picks up (to put it extremely plain and simple). The Xieds alter that frequency making the ECM "think" the system is way leaner than it's supposed to be, therefore causing it to add fuel. That's it.

Tuners (NOT piggybacks like FuelPak and other BS): They allow the opportunity to either "autotune" or based off logging, adjust the various different tables that comprise an overall "map". That map is what essentially gets replaced on your ECM. The altering of these tables is what "fine tunes" your bike giving you your "best bang for the buck" (pun kinda intended ). Yes pre-made maps are close, but each bike internals are different. So a map provided by a vendor is Ok, but realize it's a starting point. No two engines are EVER the same. Break-in, wear, and variance in tolerances all create that difference. That's why ultimately a great tuner + dyno time will get your bike an exact tip top map. I think we need a Xied vs. Tuner sticky...at some point..sheesh

Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 PM
lateralus
Tourer

I dont have access to a dyno and I have no idea of anybody local that could tune the bike, thats why I was thinking xeids might be more up my alley in the beginning. Is powervision almost too much if i dont have access to get it dyno tuned?

Quick Reply: xeids vs tuner