Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to pull hair out!!! Electrical!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 05:07 PM
SoftailCustom83
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to pull hair out!!! Electrical!

Hi all. Let me start by saying I painted the bike about 2 months ago. I had no problems other than replacing the stator and rotor cause it was shot. Was recommended to replace voltage regulator as well. I got the bike back and everything was great. Went to bike week in OC maryland and came back no probs. Put away for winter on a tender.

Took both fenders and tank off to paint them for spring. After assembling the bike and after about a week, my speedo quit working and all of a sudden I get serious popping on decel and it stalls. Shut it off, started back up and it was fine for 2 days. Started sporadically doing more. Took it in to local indy shop ive been to numerous times and he couldnt find anything.

Got it back, fine for another day or 2 then back at it again. This time throwing a batt voltage low code with the battery light and engine light on. My 6th gear indicator light was even blinking in neutral at a red light. The stator checked out fine, battery is fine but the voltage regulator was only putting out 4 volts. Just picked it up this morning and it seemed to have indeed been the regulator. It was charging at mid 14's. About an hour ago pulling into my development it started popping bad on decel and I noticed my speedo not working again until I restarted the bike. Pulled in the drive way and sure enough, battery voltage low code Is thrown again!!!

Can anyine tell me what the hell might be going on? Im thinking the decel popping badly is the power commander losing juice when it acts up. Its an 07 softail custom. Only performance mods so far is python exhaust, PC5 from jamie at fuel moto and on open airbox.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:07 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sure sounds like a loose connection some where. I would check both ends of the battery connections first and make sure they are good and tight and there is no paint or corrosion on them.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:50 PM
SoftailCustom83
Intermediate

I hate to take it in but I have VERY limited tools here at the house. Im still making a wishlist on that end. Im gonna drop it off at the dealer I guess monday. The indy shop I go to doesnt have many diagnostic tools for the newer bikes.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:54 PM
SoftailCustom83
Intermediate

It almost has to be something so simple and stupid lol. Cause like I said, the only thing that was disconnected was the negative battery terminal and the fuel lines to the tank. I know the cables on the battery itself are tight.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:51 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by SoftailCustom83
Hi all. Let me start by saying I painted the bike about 2 months ago. I had no problems other than replacing the stator and rotor cause it was shot. Was recommended to replace voltage regulator as well. I got the bike back and everything was great. Went to bike week in OC maryland and came back no probs. Put away for winter on a tender.

Took both fenders and tank off to paint them for spring. After assembling the bike and after about a week, my speedo quit working and all of a sudden I get serious popping on decel and it stalls. Shut it off, started back up and it was fine for 2 days. Started sporadically doing more. Took it in to local indy shop ive been to numerous times and he couldnt find anything.

Got it back, fine for another day or 2 then back at it again. This time throwing a batt voltage low code with the battery light and engine light on. My 6th gear indicator light was even blinking in neutral at a red light. The stator checked out fine, battery is fine but the voltage regulator was only putting out 4 volts. Just picked it up this morning and it seemed to have indeed been the regulator. It was charging at mid 14's. About an hour ago pulling into my development it started popping bad on decel and I noticed my speedo not working again until I restarted the bike. Pulled in the drive way and sure enough, battery voltage low code Is thrown again!!!

Can anyine tell me what the hell might be going on? Im thinking the decel popping badly is the power commander losing juice when it acts up. Its an 07 softail custom. Only performance mods so far is python exhaust, PC5 from jamie at fuel moto and on open airbox.
Clean and tighten battery cables before anything else. Replace battery if that doesnt fix it.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:42 AM
SoftailCustom83
Intermediate

Update. Still no fix. Picked it up from the dealer and said they removed and cleaned the ignition switch. I live maybe 5 miles from the dealer. Got it home and no prob. It sat for maybe10 mins and me and the wife went to go for a ride. Within a 1/4 mile from my house it started again. I noticed when the speedo dies I still have my clock and headlights etc. So I rode it right back in to the dealer. Apparently when I dropped it off the first time nobody listened to what I said was wrong. The owner of the dealer pulled it in himself and I explained to him its only when the motor is hot (up to temp) that it decides to do it. He informed me that when the speedo is pegged at 0 the ecu is basically being told false info and thats why it backfires and as soon as the clutch is pulled in, it dies. Im almost starting to think the speedo sensor behind the trans. Im pretty sure its tied into the ecu.