Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suicide shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brassmonkey
Ah me thinks a little harley 101 is in order.
What most people call a suicide shifter is in reality a jockey shift. This is a shift arm that attaches to the tranny like your shift leaver does but is run vertically to be shifted by hand . It was first used back in the days of foot clutch tank {hand} shift. The term suicide was used in reference to the foot clutch not the shifter for when the spring that kept the foot clutch in the disengaged position was removed so you had to keep your foot on the clutch when stopped . If your foot slipped off the clutch would engage causing the bike to lurtch forward. And yes I know even the guys from OCC refer to a jockey shift as a suicide shift but they are wrong!
Had the exact same conversation yesterday with some people...

And when you think about it... you're coming to a stop... you'll only be putting one foot on the ground... if you tip the wrong way... your foot comes off the clutch to catch yourself... what then?

Yeah... wasn't the best idea H-D ever come up with...

Charlie D.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:10 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Eh, you just put the bike in neutral before coming to a stop . . .

The only real problem with a Jockey is stopping on a hill and not having a front brake. (Think about it).

But there's always a way out. You roll the back tire into the bumper of the cage behind you, put her in gear, and go . . .

(It helps to look a bit menacing if you do that a lot!)

Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by dbleagle

And when you think about it... you're coming to a stop... you'll only be putting one foot on the ground... if you tip the wrong way... your foot comes off the clutch to catch yourself... what then?

Charlie D.
Wasn't HD's idea. Their foot clutch was a rocker clutch. It stayed wherever you put it, unless you failed to do maintenance and allowed it to get loose.

Been full time on a foot, rocker & suicide since 1981, until THE MAMA's Nightster arrived. It'll be going to a suicide/jockey soon. If you do what you oughtta be doing when riding - PAY ATTENTION - there aren't any problems. Those who worry about 'em, or say they're dangerous, or don't think they could ride 'em, probably ought no be riding anything bigger than a kid's tricycle. Sorry to destroy the mystique of 'em, but they're just not that difficult to ride, unless maybe you can't **** without getting it all over your fingers, pants leg, and the floor.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brassmonkey
Ah me thinks a little harley 101 is in order.
What most people call a suicide shifter is in reality a jockey shift. This is a shift arm that attaches to the tranny like your shift leaver does but is run vertically to be shifted by hand . It was first used back in the days of foot clutch tank {hand} shift. The term suicide was used in reference to the foot clutch not the shifter for when the spring that kept the foot clutch in the disengaged position was removed so you had to keep your foot on the clutch when stopped . If your foot slipped off the clutch would engage causing the bike to lurtch forward. And yes I know even the guys from OCC refer to a jockey shift as a suicide shift but they are wrong!
Originally Posted by dbleagle

Charlie D.
That's why they called it suicide clutch. Brass monkey was correct. Removing the hold open spring was the difficulty.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:55 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i have built 2 bikes with Jockey, Smaller Cb500 and CB350... it ws cool the bikes weighted nothing so easy to work.... i rode my cuzins suicide shift... it is a sucker punch sally... almost wrecked... it was just weird to get used to... i could not imagine it on any bike with some weight... the part i hated the most... he has a 1200c motor in it, bike has some *****... you can not really get on it hard... shifting and slamming though gears is tuff wiht one hand on the bars... even him who has been riding it for over 5 years cna not power through his gears... seems like a waste of a good motor... on the lill bobber build i have going now it will get a jockey as well... just for looks, and will be able to convert back to regular shift in no time. my 2c

Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RModel65,

Oddly enough I was at the dealership on Saturday closely checking out a Nightster to see how I might rig up a jockey shift if I ever bought one. In my case, a jockey shift is what allows me to enjoy my bike, as the severe “golfer’s elbow” in my left arm took all the fun out of it when I used a regular hand clutch. On my ’04 Custom I have run both a “behind the leg”-style shifter and a tankshift in conjunction with a LaBriola pedal; currently the tankshift is on the bike. The neat thing about this setup is that the shifter **** is close enough to the left handgrip to where I can just extend my thumb and kick the lever forward to upshift (the shift pattern is backward); jamming through gears is no problem-- foot down/thumb forward/release both/VROOOM.

On a Nightster the obvious thing you’d need to do is add forward controls to accommodate a clutch pedal; most of the used Nightsters I have seen at the dealership have had the black H-D forward controls added at some point in their prior ownership (although they ought to be standard, IMO.) Given this, I see no reason why a LaBriola pedal would not fit. Seeing as the tank is so much narrower, if I were to convert a Nighster I would probably fabricate a tank-style shifter to keep your arms close to the handlbars, using a side horn mount as the pivot point in a manner similar to the attached photo. The shifter in this photo was made by Rick LaBriola of LaBriola Machine.

I side with pococj—it really isn’t all that hard once you get the hang of it, but you have to practice, particularly pulling away from dead stops.

Attached Thumbnails  suicide shifter-suicide003bp2.jpg  

Last edited by TRacer; 01-26-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Labriola makes some damn fine parts. Excellent fab work.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:31 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate Jockey shifts but if you guys have to do it then use a RECLUSE clutch, there clutch automaticlly releases when the RPM's drop on the engine.
It works well I have one on my wifes bike (she has artheritis in her hands and can't hold in the clutch very long) when you come up to the light you just back off on the throttle and when the RPM's get down low enough the clutch just disengauges, when you want to take off all you do is hit the gas.
You don't have to hold in the clutch at the lights (perfect jockey shift clutch)!!! You do still have to use the clutch to shift all gears up and down.

Last edited by jag1886; 01-26-2009 at 06:34 PM.