Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK shocks installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 07:02 PM
ApehangerSporty
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RK shocks installed

Holy $h!t, finally got decent weather to ride in and what a difference in ride quality and comfort! I think I'm pushing it harder through corners (which is amazing because I push it like a sport bike lol) and it sucks up the bumps, and uneven pavement was no match!
I should have done this a few years ago! Now to do something with the forks.
FWIW, I'm 6'1" 250lbs, I used 15W fork oil and 10lbs of air, RK 13" shocks with 1" Lowering kit

Old 04-07-2018, 12:10 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

I put RKs on my '93 and I like them. Also, the $80 price tag on eBay was a plus. 😉

Old 04-07-2018, 01:16 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by ApehangerSporty
... like a sport bike lol) ... RK 13" shocks with 1" Lowering kit
And if you remove the lowering kit, it will definitely steer like a sports bike! At your height, what do you need lowering for anyway.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:54 AM
ApehangerSporty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lewk
And if you remove the lowering kit, it will definitely steer like a sports bike! At your height, what do you need lowering for anyway.
It's a C model and I definitely don't like the looks of the rear being that high without the lowering kit.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:12 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I have been a big fan of the RK shocks since I put them on 8 years ago, I run mine with 0 PDI one up and 10PSI two up.
Here is my thread on doing the front end, that made a huge difference too and I would highly recommend it.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...s-install.html

Old 04-08-2018, 08:28 AM
ApehangerSporty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I have been a big fan of the RK shocks since I put them on 8 years ago, I run mine with 0 PDI one up and 10PSI two up.
Here is my thread on doing the front end, that made a huge difference too and I would highly recommend it.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...s-install.html
Seemed a bit to plush with 0 psi, so I tried 5, 10, 15 psi on the same road with the same bumps to get a feel for comparison, 10 psi felt best for me. I just have to figure out which springs I'm going to run.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:16 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,960 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by ApehangerSporty
Seemed a bit to plush with 0 psi, so I tried 5, 10, 15 psi on the same road with the same bumps to get a feel for comparison, 10 psi felt best for me. I just have to figure out which springs I'm going to run.
From seeing how you like it a bit firmer on the rear shocks, you probably would be happiest with the RaceTech Springs and some Intiminators.

This Front Suspension REPORT may have some information you will find useful.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
ApehangerSporty (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:04 AM
ApehangerSporty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
From seeing how you like it a bit firmer on the rear shocks, you probably would be happiest with the RaceTech Springs and some Intiminators.

This Front Suspension REPORT may have some information you will find useful.
Have already been looking at the RaceTech springs, still need to read up on the Intiminators, don't know enough about them to make an informed decision yet.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Same here, can't imagine spending $400 plus on rear shocks when these smooth the ride out so well, unless you're a road racer that needs ultimate cornering. I can grind the lower muffler with these, and that's as hard as I ever push it anyway. Makes adjusting for two up much better, too. Frost heaves that lifted me off the seat with the stock shocks are a gentle bump now. Had planned on doing something with the front, but I can live with just the RK shocks just fine. I read somewhere that 9 ounces of shock oil work better in a Sportster, so tried that (easy enough to add more), and so far it's worked fine with that. Also, with the much lighter weight, used 10 weight, and don't know if it made that much difference, but I like it just the way it is now.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

For anyone else considering the change, I've read all kinds of complicated ways, special tools, homemade things, to get the old oil out. I just put one at a time on the bike upside down, lowered the jack (one shock holds an empty bike just fine) and a gentle push on the seat would pump it up and down, squirted the oil out quick - put a tube on it so it doesn't spray all over. Let my grandson do one it was so easy.

Quick Reply: RK shocks installed