Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Sportster not starting sitting for 3 years + repairs

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 07:52 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Go back and read the last post I made.

You really gotta do it right.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:59 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Boy I thought I was stubborn.

The following users liked this post:
Lwood10 (06-07-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:09 AM
Pfarley1
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update. I ended up waiving the white flag and took it to a shop. I watched the carb video that hscic posted and I realized that I just don't know enough about carbs.

The shop did a thorough carb soak/clean and partial rebuild. The bike is back up and running! I had a nice short 20 minute ride Saturday and look forward to enjoying it this summer. Thanks for all of your help through this long process.

The following users liked this post:
Architect (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:26 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Nothing to be ashamed to admit defeat or that something is either above your head or time constraints.

Just recently we were 2 days from taking off on a week long RV trip. Started my 2006 GMC diesel truck to hook it to our 5th wheel, and pull in front of the house to load an clean. Looking at my gauges I realized something was way off. Fuel showed empty, and I had just filled it 2 days before and only driven it home. A quick check with the cap off the tank and I could see fuel. Then noticed all kinds of lights on that should not have been.

A quick search online indicated it COULD be a loose body ground. They are all over the place on those trucks. A quick look told me I would spend days just looking, and no guarantee that was the issue.

Drove it into town to local diesel shop, and after scanning with tech2 device they determined it was a "communication" problem. Hmmm three different computers, with a fistful of wires going to each. I left it with them, with them knowing I was hoping to head out in 2 days.

Next morning at 10 am they called and it was fixed. Mice had chewed a bunch of wires under my fuse box under the hood. Cost about $300 total but was worth every penny. Saved our trip and my hair, whats left of that.

I say this because I do everything on my truck, but time and knowledge I didn't readily have, were not in my favor.

Glad you got it running. Carbs can be a PITA for me too, and I have been wrenching since the mid 60's both professionally and personally.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:04 AM
TexNorth
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfarley1
Update. I ended up waiving the white flag and took it to a shop. I watched the carb video that hscic posted and I realized that I just don't know enough about carbs.

The shop did a thorough carb soak/clean and partial rebuild. The bike is back up and running! I had a nice short 20 minute ride Saturday and look forward to enjoying it this summer. Thanks for all of your help through this long process.

Carbs can be a real pain. Once I worked on my kids bike and tried to rebuild/clean the carbs, did it 2 times, gave up and bought a set off ebay, cleaned those and it worked great. Once you get them clean and take care of them, they are great. Glad to hear you got it running. Keep fresh gas in it and don't let it sit, or you'll be right back at the same place.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:56 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfarley1

Glad you got her going.
Nothing wrong with paying someone to do something you aren't comfortable with. Work your way into the wrenching if you feel like it.
Enjoy!!