Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Lewy23
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal?

I dont even know if Ill able to afford this, since Im a broke *****...but its fun to look and guage deals and whatnot. I am trying to save for a bike..and Ive always wanted a HD since I could walk. I think a Sporty will be a good starter bike, no?

I found this locally...

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...r+XLS-91691242

Lewy

Old 01-28-2008, 11:03 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Is this a good deal?

Looks about right pricing. If you go for it, have a dealer or another indie go through it. The comment about a project bike is a little worrisome.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:05 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sportsters are great bikes in general.... The bike you are looking at appears to be clean/well-kept... However.... The fact that the mileage is "unknown" and the listing states it would be a "great project bike" would concern me. That makes me think the dealership probably found some mechanical issues.

Are you looking for a bike to work on, or a bike to ride? You could spend double that amount and find a much newer Sporty with low miles. Keep in mind that rubber mounting was added in '04, and fuel injection in '07 (if either of these changes are important to you). Personally, I wouldn't look at an mc that old, unless I knew the original owner.... Or I really was looking for a "project bike." Good luck

Old 01-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Lewy23
Novice

I want a decent starter bike..not really wanting to go too much over 3k. Im poor lol

I want a bike to ride, not a project bike...sure i would love to add on things later, but I want to ride it asap, ya know?

what is an MC bike?

Old 01-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Bryan53
Tourer

Thats a fairly good deal. I think the project bike comment is made because not too many guys are looking to buy a Harley for that price and ride it most will chop it and then make it their own. My neighbor is looking for the exact bike for a project bike.

Go check it out if it is nearby. If you really want to get a bike you need to go look at them. Don't go there with the intention to buy it. Only to check it out. Be honest with the seller and really check his character. Ask yourself if you believe what he is telling you. Take it for a ride and tell him you will get back to him and you are looking at a few other bikes.

Don't rush to a descision because you like the price.

I paid more than I wanted for the bike I have and I am very glad I did.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First off....ASportster is not a "starter bike"!!!! Starter bikes are 125cc, 250cc, etc.

Kelly Blue Book has a retail value listed as $3550.This bike may be listed low due to themileage/mechanical issues.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Bryan53
Tourer

Sportsters are not starter bikes. They can get up and go better than some bigger bikes in full dress.

If you want a real starter bike go find a metric for 2500 bucks. It will be newer and in better condition than any harley you will find.

Something with 883 or 1200 cc's is not something I would call a starter bike. Something with less than 500 cc maybe a starter bike but a real starter less than 300 cc's.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Lewy23
Novice

well the seller is an actual HD dealer...so thats a plus, right?

yeah, I am just browsing right now...see thats the thing...im not the best rider...never ridden before. Ive ridden small dirtbikes and whatnot, but I dont have a license and theres like 3 feet of snow out here anyways lol

I just want a decent bike, doenst have to be perfect or even that pretty, for around 3k. Im just starting out, and I dont really want another bike besides an HD..only other way I think I would go is Triumph.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Lewy23
Novice

well give me some examples of some "starter" bikes...i just really want an HD..didnt wanna go the metric route. I am 6' 225lbs and pretty strong(powerlifter)...I thiiiiiiiink I could handle the Sportster.

But I am open to suggestions...

Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Lewy23

I want a decent starter bike..not really wanting to go too much over 3k. Im poor lol

I want a bike to ride, not a project bike...sure i would love to add on things later, but I want to ride it asap, ya know?

what is an MC bike?
I understand... MC is just an abbreviation for motorcycle.... Sorry... Internet lingo [8D].... I agree with what WV said about Sportsters not being the best starter bikes (unless you have ridden other bikes?... dirt bikes?).

There's no shame in learning to ride on a Honda Rebel, Buell Blast or the like... Both of these bikes can be purchased nearly new for the price range you are looking at....... As long as you upgrade to a Harley eventually, it's all good

I think Bryan's advice is solid. Also, if you know anyone who is a mechanic, bring them along and have them inspect the bike with you.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?