Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped shock bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped shock bolt

I was cleaning my bike today and noticed that the left side lower shock mounting bolt was a little loose. I went to tighten it and the nut just spins on the bolt. Anyone had issues with these bolts stripping out? I have an 08 1200C with 4800 miles. Is this something that I should take care of now or have the dealer take care of it at the 5k service?

Old 06-05-2009, 09:13 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd take care of it now. I havn't heard of that, and if one of your shocks comes loose "death or serious injury" could result. Just making fun of the HD manual there, but it really could throw you off and be dangerous.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:17 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

wont tighten anymore as for it was swimming in the hole too long (bike moving up & down)
they are fine thread
let dealer look at it

Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Take it off, go to hardware store. buy new bolt and nut, put on the bike with blue lock tight, tighten to about 18 - 22 ft lbs, ride.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:20 AM
BradNailer
Cruiser

Take it off, go to hardware store. buy new Grade-8 bolt and nut, put on the bike with blue lock tight, tighten to about 18 - 22 ft lbs, ride.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:21 AM
hollywood1959
Banned

Listen to the boy's, that could kill you! Bring it back to the stealer and have them fix it now. Don't wait. There are too many bad drivers out there that could put your life in danger if you need to panic stop. I don't want to hear about another road splat. Make sure your hardware is in good shape. Kick the tire's, check the oil, make sure she's as good as you are before you ride it. Got it? Hit this back if you have any questions...........HOLLYWOOD

Old 06-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Bentwrench
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spinning Nut or Spinning Bolt?

That shock bolt threads into the boss on the rear swing arm. The nut is a lock nut.

Is the bolt spinning when you try to tighten the BOLT or is the NUT spinning when you try to tighten the lock nut onto the bolt? If the the threads are stripped out of the mounting boss, then you will have to have those threads repaired. If it is just the threads on the bolt that are gone, then a new bolt and nut will take care of it.

Time to have an experienced mechanic look at it for you. Don't guess.

I don't know about later models, but the '92 and '96 both use grade 5 bolts, with 3 marks on the head of the bolt.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:01 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bentwrench
That shock bolt threads into the boss on the rear swing arm. The nut is a lock nut.

Is the bolt spinning when you try to tighten the BOLT or is the NUT spinning when you try to tighten the lock nut onto the bolt? If the the threads are stripped out of the mounting boss, then you will have to have those threads repaired. If it is just the threads on the bolt that are gone, then a new bolt and nut will take care of it.

Time to have an experienced mechanic look at it for you. Don't guess.

I don't know about later models, but the '92 and '96 both use grade 5 bolts, with 3 marks on the head of the bolt.
I put a wrench on the nut and try and tighten the bolt with a ratchet. The bolt turns while the nut stays stationary. It wont get any tighter. I can back the nut off so I think the bolt threads are stripped. I am taking it in this week.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Bentwrench
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stripped Threads

If you're lucky, it will just be stripped threads on the bolt.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:13 PM
lolife
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tie it up with some leather........ . . . .. .It will hold.................. . . . .. . .

Quick Reply: Stripped shock bolt