Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 PM
MattFXDB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing spark plug wires

I recently got a set of orange screamin eagle spark plug wires to replace my stock black wires on my orange bike. I wanted a touch of color down by the engine. Im a little confused as to what needs to be done to hook it up. That sounds like a rediculous question, take the old ones off, put the new ones on, simple as that. But, what is throwing me off is both ends of my stock wires are straight, both the end going into the coil and the end going into the cylinder. My new wires are straight at one end and have a 90 degree bend on the other end. the wires came with no instructions and im not sure about whether or not it matters which end the 90 degree end goes into. should i replace it so the bended end goes into the coil or into the cylinder?

Sorry for the newbie question. I have a service manual on order for my 05 883r, but i dont know if it would even help me or not in this instance.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

The bent end goes on the coil. Be sure to route the wires carefully and put any heat shield that was on your old wires on your new ones.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Forgetting the 90* bends, the connectors on the end of each wire are different. They can only go on one way................

Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
MattFXDB
Tourer

Thanks for the help from each of you. makes no sense that my wires are straight and the new ones have the bend in one end, but im sure there is a good reason.

Is there anything else i need to do in order to switch these effectively? i dont need new plugs or anything, right? these new wires are a bigger gauge.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 PM
onebagger15
Tourer

Don't need new plugs. You can get different degree bends depending on what you specifically order. Push them in until you hear a click. Should be good to go then.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:23 PM
MattFXDB
Tourer

got them all hooked up ok. the bent end had to go on the cylinder and not on the coil. but other than that it was pretty straight forward.

I wasnt able to get the head shielding off of the old ones since its diameter was narrower than either of the boots on either end of the wire. I'll see if i can pick up some new shielding somewhere that will work.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

A good idea would be to put some dielectric grease on the inside of both boots. This will keep any moisture and corrosion from getting in or on the plug tip.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

Originally Posted by Matt883r
got them all hooked up ok. the bent end had to go on the cylinder and not on the coil. but other than that it was pretty straight forward.
go figure

Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can simply slice the wire loom protectors along the old wires......Spread the loom apart and place the new wires in. Or pick up some new loom in orange that already has the slit.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM
mtruland
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Matt883r

I wasnt able to get the head shielding off of the old ones since its diameter was narrower than either of the boots on either end of the wire. I'll see if i can pick up some new shielding somewhere that will work.
How do they look that way? On my 2010, they were set up the same as stock (with the 9o degree bend).

Maybe you got the wrong set? My parts book has a set for '86-'03 XL, '04-'06 XL and '07 and later XL. My guess is you have the wrong ones.

Quick Reply: Replacing spark plug wires