Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with wiring a tach

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:02 PM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need help with wiring a tach

HELP PLEASE!!
I have an 09 Iron and wanted to add a tach. I purchased the mini-tach from J&P Cycles part #5600266 (white face) and the XR-1200 bracket and all the rest from HD. The problem I am having is trying to figure out how in the heck to wire this tach up. The instructions that come with it say to wire the tach as follows:
Green = to the NEG COIL but there is no neg (-) wire there.
Have the service manual and it does not show a (-) wire to the coil.
Red = to IGNITION ON DC 12V
Blue = to LAMP ON
Black = GROUND

Does anyone know how to wire this up so it will work?
Do I need to get something else to connect this?
I call J&P and the service guys simply said "just connect it to the neg coil and ground and it's all good" When I told him the problem I had -- no neg coil wire. he said to attach it to ground. No go with that, so I need help from the wiring gurus here.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Bolillo... Tachometer signal is digital serial data generated by the ECM... but not all hope is lost... look here (either zoom in or download the picture):

https://picasaweb.google.com/joeboti...15356123538802

on the diagram Y/GN means Yellow cable with a Green stripe... Y/BE is Yellow cable with Blue stripe and BE/O is Blue cable with Orange stripe...

on the ignition coil connector.. pins A & B (both Y/GN in color)... both are fed battery power from the system relay.. then there are two cables... one for each coil/cylinder.. on pins C & D... those cables are Y/BE and BE/O so... logic tells me that what the ECM does is to signal those cables to Ground.. (which is in fact what the Neg Coil ignition signal does).... so.. if you piggyback either one (not both) of those C or D cables to the Tachometer it should work.. BUT!!.. be careful... you will the dealing with a pin that connects directly to the ECM.. so the first thing to do is to either disconnect the main 30 amp fuse or disconnect the battery (or both if you are paranoid like me)... then work on the tachometer connection... check and recheck several times before you power the system... you don't want to fry the ECM!!... I hope this helps... happy riding!!

Last edited by joebotics; 02-25-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 PM
jesse-austin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, it's not going to say 'negative' anywhere. But as I recall, there's 4 wires going to the coil, and two of them will work. Seems like one of them is yellow with a blue trace or strip. And the other one is possibly blue with a red trace[?]. I don't have my shop manual handy to look at the diagram, but it's not either of the 'power' wires.
That said, your going to need a Tach adapter since most tach's [including the one you have] are for dual fire ignitions. The adapter allows you to wire the tach up to our single fire ignitions. You can find the adapters on line at J&P, or Dennis Kirk, or on Ebay. All different prices, most of them stupid expensive for a coupe pieces of wire and a resistor or diode. Baron's are pretty reasonable.
Good luck