Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tach wiring = HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 AM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tach wiring = HELP!!

Hi all, hope someone with more electrical/wiring know how can help me.
I have an '09 Iron that I installed a tach on using the XR-1200 bracket.
The tach is the mini tach from J&P Cycles, with it I installed the Baron's tach adapter(single fire).
I purchased the shop manual so I could figure out what I was doing and I got it all wired up correctly (at least I think I did).
Wiring was done as follows
Tach Adapter wires =
Green to Green wire on tach
Yellow wire (Negative front coil) to Blue/Orange wire at 4 wire connector for front cylinder
Blue wire (negative rear coil) to Yellow/Blue wire at 4 wire connector for rear cylinder
Tach wires =
Red wire (ignition) & Blue (Lamp on) to Yellow/Green wire at 4 wire connector common positive
Black wire to Ground.
My problem is that when I turn on ignition the tach will do a complete sweep and needle drops to about 200rpm range. When I turn bike on the needle drops to "0" and does not move when engine is rev'd.
I'm not sure if I hooked something up wrong or something is backwards but it is frustrating as heck. I have seen other sporties with tach's added but can't seem to get any answers as to how they were wired to have tach actually work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't know about the Tach you have. I am also not sure what wire colors above refer to the wire colors in the Harley harness.

On a Harley Tach the pink wire is the RPM signal from the ignition module. Orange with white stripe is the aux. power for the lights, orange with a red stripe is ignition power and black is ground. Some tach's also use the green with a brown stripe (or is it brown with green?)from the diagnostic plug, that is the RPM sending wire.

I would use some caution about hooking things to the ignition system, it doesn't take much to wipe out the electronic module. I know aftermarket units save some $$$ but can cost a lot more in the end.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:37 PM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

SHE'S ALIVE!!
Got my problem fixed with help from "Big D" over at another forum, he suggested I eliminate the tach adapter and wire it straight to the coil. Took his suggestion and it works like a tach actually should, needle moves with revs and everything!
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.