Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ColorRite HD Black Denim paint = Amazing

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:35 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ColorRite HD Black Denim paint = Amazing

I just wanted to post a great review here, there is no "paint" subforum, and I figure most of the riders in here with Denim paint on their bikes are on Sportsters.

I just recently purchased a headlight visor for my 2012 Iron 883. The bike is Black Denim. That is a very unique color. I purchased and tried THREE different matte black paints from the HW store and none of them came even close to matching the super dark "blackness" of the HD Black Denim, or the matte sheen that this paint has.

After doing test panel after test panel, I gave up and decided to send ColorRite my money to buy the first $40 rattle can I've ever bought in my life.

All I can say is: WOW. Its worth every penny that they charge for it. I understand now why its so expensive.

(Just FYI: I was a professional car detailer for years, and I've worked very closely with professional painters before, so its safe to say that I know a thing or two about paint, and how to evaluate it.)

I'll try to break down each of the aspects of why I'm so impressed, and why I feel its worth every penny that ColorRite wants for it:

Packaging and Documentation: 10/10. ColorRite shipped fast, via FedEx, and the can was VERY well secured in its box. It was properly labeled ORM-D as expected. The documentation had excellent steps regarding its use, application, finishing, and recoat/flash/dry times. I followed the instructions to the letter and the results were way better than I imagined.

As it states, the ColorRite Black Denim (as with all of their HD Denim offerings I suspect) does NOT need a clear coat to perfectly mirror the factory finish. The literature of course recommends their Eggshell clear if you are painting a tank where gas or other solvents might damage the paint, but for fenders, visors, or other random panels, the clear is not necessary to achieve a perfect factory match.

This alone is amazing. Its VERY difficult to get a basecoat into a rattle can, and not only hit an OEM color (especially when the OEM never offers paint codes to anyone) perfectly, but hit a perfect replica of a custom matte sheen put on in a multi step factory process.

Now, of course I always recommend a clearcoat. I think that if you want a truly professional grade job, a real catalyst based clear coat is absolutely essential. In my case, I want to see just how durable this finish really is without the clear, so I'm going to run without it for a few seasons. If I have to wet sand this paint and re apply, its not a big deal.

Can quality: 10/10. Remember this is a RATTLE can. My primary concern would be that the nozzle was going to suck. Most rattle cans have the standard "white" nozzle. These are what you get at the HW store and they produce a round spray pattern that is heaviest near the center. That is about the worst possible spray pattern for high quality applications such as painting cars or bikes, because its very difficult to lay down a flat, uniformly thin coat. It leads to coats that are either patchy, or way too heavy.

The nozzle on the ColorRite can is a high quality nozzle that is NOT the same as the standard rattle can nozzle. I have seen these before, they are blue, they have a plunger on the top, and they have a nozzle tip that produces a wide, thin, flat spray pattern much closer to the nozzle you will find on most HVLP paint guns.

I suspect that nozzle may be $5-$10 of the cost of the can, and its worth the money.

Paint Quality: 10/10 This paint is incredible. Even without clearcoat, its a perfect match for the Harley denim paint, which is VERY dark black and has a sheen to it. The sheen is somewhere between a truly matte finish (such as you would see in primer) and a glossy finish as you see on most cars. I'm so beyond impressed with ColorRite's ability to mimic this unique finish, I intend on writing them a letter of praise. The finish is smooth and has exactly the same texture as the OEM paint on my tank. There is no mottling, no orange peel, and no indication of the nozzle (or my technique) having produced any dripping or thick spots.

Paint Process: The instructions say to apply over primer, preferably wet sanded. I wet sanded my primer with 600 grit, and then degreased with rubbing alcohol. I applied two light but uniform coats 20 minutes apart, then waited two hours before applying another two coats. After four coats I was satisfied that it was laid down heavy enough, and I let it cure. At 3pm today, it will have had 24 hours in a dry and warm curing environment, and I'll install it onto my bike tonight.

I'll try to get some pictures for you guys, today is very overcast, and the only chance I have of doing justice to this finish is in bright, direct sunlight.

I'll update the thread when I have pics.

Last edited by parabellum_9x19; 10-17-2011 at 12:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bolas1 (12-05-2023)
Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

wow great to know, just checked them out earlier this am...

Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am sure Harley doesn't make their own paint, someone must manufacture it for them. Although the manufacturer is probably under contract to not disclose their formula, they can probably make some minor changes that don't affect the apperance of the finish that let's them sell the paint under their own name and not breach the contract. (Just my theory)

Bolas1 (12-05-2023)
Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great review and good info! Thanks man.

Bolas1 (12-05-2023)
Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cool....

Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
I am sure Harley doesn't make their own paint, someone must manufacture it for them. Although the manufacturer is probably under contract to not disclose their formula, they can probably make some minor changes that don't affect the apperance of the finish that let's them sell the paint under their own name and not breach the contract. (Just my theory)
Good point.

For all I know, ColorRite is the manufacturer for HD...I have no idea who makes the paint for HD.

I was expecting this paint to be a close match, but not a dead on perfect match, that really surprised me.

Bolas1 (12-05-2023)
Old 10-17-2011, 03:10 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

ColorRite's Vivid Black is spot on also.

I've been using ColorRite for years now and have always had great results with their rattle cans.

Bolas1 (12-05-2023)
Old 10-17-2011, 03:21 PM
GN LEE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that review is so professional I believe that this is a thread created by HD Black Denim marketing dept. And, I'm being serious.

Bolas1 (12-05-2023)
Old 10-17-2011, 03:23 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the OP, sold him some slip-ons. Straight up guy.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:27 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GN LEE
that review is so professional I believe that this is a thread created by HD Black Denim marketing dept. And, I'm being serious.
I'm a software engineer, its not my fault you have trust issues.

Quick Reply: ColorRite HD Black Denim paint = Amazing