Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping a rear hub into a front rim

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Warpaint_Bobber_Ryder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapping a rear hub into a front rim

Hi guys. New here and proud to be a part of the forum. Got a question. Currently I'm accumilating parts I need for my first bike build. Bought a 16x3 40spoke rim from ebay. Thought I was buying a rear wheel but I got a front. No problem I thought. Finally scored a rear hub off of a 1985 FXST. Could anyone tell me if its possible to just swap out hub assemblies? The rear is abt 1/4" wider because of the sprocket hub but looks like it should work.

Thanks.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,597 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

Without more info we can't answer your question because the wheel from Bay has no details included in your post.

If it looks like the hubs will swap, they probaly will but please check with someone who has some experience locally.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Warpaint_Bobber_Ryder
Intermediate

Thanks. Well, the wheel is a front wheel off of a 1991 softail heritage. Its a 40 spoke 16"x3" which has a MT90 tire w/ lots of tread left. I'll be using this rim as a rear (if possible). Recently scored a rear hub assembly from a 1985 FXR (also a 40 spoke) at a swap. Both hub assemblies have 3/4" bearings. The fxr rear hub looks to be wider because of sprocket mount. I'm unconcerned by the slight width as its going into a stock dimension 130mm rear tire rigid kraft tech XL frame. I'm curious if I can salvage the rim and just swap out the front hub in favor of the rear hub assembly? I don't know of anyone locally that has. Seems like it could. Has anyone heard of doing this? Has it been done?

Old 11-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not sure if I would run a front tire on the rear.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:46 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes...if you're running a chain. You can even use the same spokes as long as they're in good condition. The rim hoops are the same. Once you have the wheel centered you can compensate the offset (if there is any) with the front sprocket. If there is an offset it will still look stock.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Warpaint_Bobber_Ryder
Intermediate

Thanks Mreed. That's just what I needed to know! Its like u completely knew where I was headed. Yea I knew id have to offset my front sprocket with this build, hopefully not if it lines up and is spaced just right. Crossing my fingers as I just know the centering is gonna be a pain in the rectum lol. Mreed, that bobber is sic as hell! Is that a fatty front squeezed into a narrow glide?!?! NOW THAT IS SIC!!! How'd U get it to fit? Can't wait to finish (or start for that matter) my bobber build. U have a rear fender or are u goin gangsta and goin fenderless? With those fatties I wouldn't run any! Looks badass w/o! BTW is that a weld on tail or is that an aftermarket rigid?

Thanks once again ma bro

Old 11-26-2011, 02:15 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks. That one is for my wife. She hasn't decided on a rear fender yet. She'll most likely want to run one. Something short & contoured to fit tight on the tire. It's a Led Sled 2" stretch hardtail unit on a stock 03 frame. The front wheel is a stock Sportster hub with a 16x3 rim hoop laced together with spokes I had Buchanans make. Stock narrow glide front end with the insides of the legs shaved to fit the tire. It'll be able to use stock front brakes since I used the stock hub & spacers.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:35 AM
Warpaint_Bobber_Ryder
Intermediate

I've never seen a chick ride a bobber w/o a rear fender. That would just add to the bad assness of a bad *** chick on a bad *** scoot factor. Solo seat, chick pilot, no fender...she doesn't need a fender. Hopefully U won't be the passenger on the back of her bike lmao j/k. Although I seen 2 hott lesbians riding 2up on a softail and I think I was in love! Haha. I say slap some wide white sidewalls and that bike is golden;-)

Old 11-26-2011, 02:50 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

One of her other bikes already has wide white walls. Her rear fender will be like my Nightster in this pic beside her 04 with the wide whites.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 AM
Warpaint_Bobber_Ryder
Intermediate

Sa-weet! Who pinstriped ur wife's bike? Here in Louisana I searched and asked high and low. NO ONE here does old school(w/ a brush) pinstripes. Actually no one is hardly. Its a dying art! And I want some pinning done on mine once I'm done w/ my project. Oh btw please convince the admin to sticky ur DIY cheapy 4" air cleaner mod! I love it I'm gonna try it! Ttyl