Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing security system

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:36 PM
seikan1
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing security system

I have a 2006 883C and it came with that "security system" that Harley puts on some of the bikes. The lights blink, etc.

Well, I am thinking of at least buying the siren for it. At the local Harley shop it costs $100.00. They tell me that it is about 1 1/2 hours to install and that is going to run another $140.00 or so.

I am not genius, but is it really that hard to install the siren on a pre-existing system? Is this something that should cost me that much to install?

If I knew where they put it, and how it is connected, I am sure I could muddle through and save a little money. What do you think?

Old 01-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Clackamas
Advanced
Default RE: installing security system

ORIGINAL: seikan1
I have a 2006 883C and it came with that "security system" that Harley puts on some of the bikes. The lights blink, etc.
Well, I am thinking of at least buying the siren for it. At the local Harley shop it costs $100.00. They tell me that it is about 1 1/2 hours to install and that is going to run another $140.00 or so.
I am not genius, but is it really that hard to install the siren on a pre-existing system? Is this something that should cost me that much to install?
If I knew where they put it, and how it is connected, I am sure I could muddle through and save a little money. What do you think?
Regardless of Harley, the Factory installed immboilizer system is of limited to no value. Basically, you have to consider 3 types of Theft and 1 general situation:

1. Theft to Joy Ride (a type of theft of convience).
2. Theft of Convience to steal your bike.
3. Theft of Professional nature
4. Vandals / Accidental hitting of your bike.

The Harley installed alarm will not stop #3 -- that is, someone who wants your bike is gonna get it. So your better off focusing on recovery, not prevention for #3. Items 1 and 2 can resolved cheaper than the the factory installed system.

The most useful items for Theif #3 is a combination of Low Jack and the Pager Alarm. Once your bike is stolen, Low Jack is essential for recovery. Your insurance company may even give you a brake if you carry full coverage. The pager system is useful for knowing your bike was messed with/stolen while in a resturant or other short distant from the bike and intervene as appropriate.

Items 1 & 2 are best addressed by a combination of the fork lock already on your bike, the pager system
and prehaps a break lock.

For item 4, the pager can alert you if a vandal or potential hit&run of your bike occurs.

The fact dealers are pre-ordering bikes with immobilizer system is $325 I'd rather spend on other sercurity mesaure.

Just my 2cents worth based on automobile criteria for car alarms.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:29 PM
olesalt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every accessory I have bought from HD has had installation instructions with it....this any different ???

Old 01-16-2007, 11:43 PM
rbcss
Tourer

if's it's the same as the '05 it's a piece of cake. 2 bolts on the frame and a wire. toke me 15 minutes. you said thesecurity system is all ready there, the siren is just a added feature.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:30 AM
alexcue
Road Master

do it yourself. if i dummy like me can do it anyone can!!!

the hardest part is laying on your back and securing the antenna of the Smart Siren II

Old 01-17-2007, 11:07 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll install it for $100...as a matter of fact, I'd like to have about 20 a day to install at that rate. Make 2 grand a day, and have the entire afternoon free to ride.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:12 PM
muns
Novice

I installed the complete system on my 05/1200C. If you already have the factory TSSM installed, it is a piece of cake to add the siren-II. The siren-IIhas the pager transmitter installed and all you need to add is the belt receiver. Range is very good and the chirp and full alarm from the bike will (and has) stopped idiots that think it isOK to sit on someone's bike. Having the receiver lets you show up and "discuss" the matter with them. Of the 4 mentioned scenarios, it will cover 3 of them, 4 if your close and armed.

SEM

Old 01-17-2007, 09:38 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of adding the siren to my 07 which already has the fob hands free factory alarm on it but not sure where I would mount the siren module,I can't even find the antenna for the alarm!

Tom

Old 01-17-2007, 10:27 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sure it's like all other HD accessories. If you buy it...you will get very detailed install instructions. The same ones the guys in the shop at the dealership read. Without the instructions, they know don't where to install the parts either.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can order the siren from Hales Harley Davidson for about $80.00 plus shipping and install it yourself.

Quick Reply: installing security system