Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prob with fob after battery change on bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM
SD1
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Prob with fob after battery change on bike

I swapped batteries on the bike yesterday and now the key fob is acting up. I went to a friends turned the bike off and sat on the bike in his driveway for a couple minutes with the key in the ignition, but in the off position and it triggered the alarm and wouldnt restart until I had cycled the key several times. Do you think the battery in the fob is dead too? Its an 2009 but was literally never used.

TIA

Old 06-21-2013, 09:30 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what year bike? I wouldn't know, I have just enough experience with that key fob & alarm to know it's more a PITA than it's worth.. One time I armed it and couldn't get it to disarm so I couldn't start the bike,,\\

I don't even how it's suppose to work,, like hold the button for 2-3 seconds to arm and then 2 short presses to disarm or something stupid like that.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:08 PM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Key fob batteries are constantly in use as they are always sending out a signal for the bike to receive when you get near the bike. They are good for about a year and a half (or more) but you should usually replace them each year at the same time, like your house smoke alarm. I have to do that with my fobs and my wireless door lock/ignition on my car for the same reason.

Also, what part of the city were you in. The Navy here uses some signals that will interfere with the fobs as well, I had this problem when I got fuel once at the Shell station on Midway in the Sports Arena area. Had a hard time getting the preset code from the dealer to bypass the alarm system to get it away from there. They wanted me to bring the bike in to prove it was me trying to get the code. That was before I found out how to program in my own code, but still needed their code to program in mine. Don't need a code if the dealer didn't program in theirs already. Just make sure you have your code programmed in so if it every happens to you again and you need to ride it somewhere to buy a new battery or to get it away from whatever is interfering with your fob signal, you can.

Last edited by DOMAPOI; 06-21-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:58 AM
SD1
Cruiser

Replaced battery, all good now but i got stuck and had to take a car to get the batterry

Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 AM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

like dom said - the fob are always sending out a signal , try not to leave the fob within range of the sccoot ,, when not in use .. always change the battery when u get your registration, u will never forget that way

Old 06-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

An interesting and timely discussion on battery replacement for the key FOB. I've been using mine to activate the security system since I bought the bike new in 2005 and have never had a problem. A couple of weeks ago I thought, "maybe I ought to get new batteries for the two FOBs that came with the bike". So, off to Wally's World I go and get the two CR2032 batteries for the FOBs, and they're still sitting in their package on my dresser. The original batteries have been in both FOBs for the 8 years I've owned the bike! Guess I ought to go change 'em right now (for the first time ever) while I'm thinking about it.

Thanks for the reminder guys!

Old 06-22-2013, 12:25 PM
SD1
Cruiser

I do have a habit of leaving the key in the ignition when its in the garage. I pulled it this morning, thanks for the tip!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this constant signal thing must not be true on the 2006 because I don't even carry mine with me, just use the ignition key.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:32 PM
SD1
Cruiser

My old fob had a button, my new one does not. I cant say that I like it. I realize that I have to insert the key and turn it on before I get on the bike, that is reversing a lifelong habit.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:45 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SD1
Replaced battery, all good now but i got stuck and had to take a car to get the batterry
That is why you have to set the security system bypass code in your bike. Then you can enter the code and still use your bike to go get the battery for the fob. Or if your in one of those areas that have some interference with the system, you can enter the code and get away from that area. Look in your owners book to find the steps to set your code or you can find it on-line on how to do it as well.

Originally Posted by 06Sporty75
this constant signal thing must not be true on the 2006 because I don't even carry mine with me, just use the ignition key.
Originally Posted by SD1
My old fob had a button, my new one does not. I cant say that I like it. I realize that I have to insert the key and turn it on before I get on the bike, that is reversing a lifelong habit.
On 2006 and older bikes you had a button to manually turn on or off the security system. If you didn't turn it on it was not armed. And the only time the battery energy is used is when you are pushing the button.

On 2007 and newer, within seconds of turning off the bike your turn signals will flash and the red key symbol starts blinking on the speedometer, indicating the activation of the security system but, as long as the fob is near it, the security system receives the signal from it and it won't be set off. Once you leave the area of the bike, the security system no longer is receiving the signal that the fob is sending out and it will sound the alarm if someone moves the bike (first with a warning flash (chirps if you have the alarm module also installed) once or twice, and then the full shut down (and alarm if you have the alarm module also installed) if the warnings are ignored and it will also disable the ignition system). This way, you never have to remember to set it or turn it off since it is all done automatically.

And you don't have to insert the key before you get on your bike. Having it with you (in your pant or jacket pocket, etc. etc) when you get on is all you need. The antenna to receive the signal from the fob is actually under the seat connected to the TSM/TSSM/HFSM module. As long as the fob is in close proximity to the bike it won't set off the security system.