Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 07:33 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Remote batteries

for those that have a security system on their bikes be sure and check the batteries in the remotes, went into the garage to do something and decided to fire the Ultra up and the lights would flash but wouldn't start so i replaced the remote batteries and it started right up. Just wanted to share so it may help others, i also carry a spare in the tour-pac!! Just in case!!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,229 Likes on 2,470 Posts

if you've got a security system on your bike, change the code and learn to use it. in the op's case, his battery was bad, but you could find yourself in an area where there is interference and changing the batteries in your fob all day long won't make a bit of difference. instead of pushing your bike out of the interference range, punch in your code, fire up, and ride away.

also, if you happen to lose your fob, you won't be totally screwed (unless you locked your ignition....)

i don't bother hanging on to 'extra' fob batteries. it's easy enough to punch in the code if the battery goes dead and just swing by the store on the way. the battery in my 2007 lasted 4 years before i had to change it.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Skratch...I've never been anywhere that adjacent RF interference interfered with the communication between the FOB and the ECM. But I am not saying it is impossible. I would be interested to know where this happened, and what was the source of the RF interfering with your FOB signal?

I wish I knew the frequency range of the RF coming from the FOB. And also if there are rotating digital security codes being transmitted along with the RF. Anyone know?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:19 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LCJoe, swing by a ham radio outlet and they should have a freq reader that will display what freq your FOB is producing. I've got a reader, but it's in storage or I'd check and give you a ballpark idea.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:48 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Owners manual says to replace annually. I'm cheap to I went four full years before they gave out. but I have the disabling procedure down pat. But it is a pain to be on a ride and go through the procedure every time you stop for something.

So, I do carry a spare now but still wait until it goes.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 AM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This one was only three years old!! And i think that the bike battery is on the way out too!! when i go to start it it pulls down to about 8 volts sounds a bit weak and it stays on the tender so i will be looking for one of those soon!!

Old 10-18-2011, 12:40 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,229 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Skratch...I've never been anywhere that adjacent RF interference interfered with the communication between the FOB and the ECM. But I am not saying it is impossible. I would be interested to know where this happened, and what was the source of the RF interfering with your FOB signal?

I wish I knew the frequency range of the RF coming from the FOB. And also if there are rotating digital security codes being transmitted along with the RF. Anyone know?
it's never happened to me personally, but i have heard/read of several folks that it has happened to. from what i can recall, they weren't sure of the source of the interference either.