The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: Best bang for the buck se pro vs fp3

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 07:40 PM
83redgt
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Best bang for the buck se pro vs fp3

Dealer wants to sell se pro tuner almost 500.00 when bought and tuned bike, i see alot of guys here use fp3 is it? ease of use and best performance?

Old 06-14-2016, 08:01 PM
funktekk
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no idea how the SE tuner works, but I do have the FP3 and love it.

It is very simple to use yet very powerful.

The best part about it is it's essentially just an app. The hardware is merely a communication device that links your smart phone to the motorcycles computer. Being that all the brains are in the app, it is relatively easy for V&H to roll out updates and new features.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:25 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The best performance will come when you put your bike on a dynamometer and tune the engine parameters and the ECU using the machines settings in tandem with a fuel management device. I know that the SEPST excels at doing just that but I'm not sure if you can do the same using the FP3 in conjunction with the Dyno. Just by running an Auto-tune session on either device will allow you to get close to where the engine should be performing at but it won't be on dead-center.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:22 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by funktekk
I have no idea how the SE tuner works, but I do have the FP3 and love it.

It is very simple to use yet very powerful.

The best part about it is it's essentially just an app. The hardware is merely a communication device that links your smart phone to the motorcycles computer. Being that all the brains are in the app, it is relatively easy for V&H to roll out updates and new features.
Other way around. The computer and firmware and autotune stuff etc etc are in the device. The App is just the communication device that lets you set the device or display some gauges.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:11 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

From a dyno tuning standpoint the fp3 sucks. At least IMO. It may be good for the end user but if you want to edit tables it's a PITA

Old 06-15-2016, 07:30 AM
funktekk
Intermediate

I would hesitate to use the words "bang for the buck" and dyno tune in the same sentence. Dyno tuning takes a knowledgeable and experienced technician and typically their time isn't cheap. Also any further changes to the bike will require another visit to the dyno in order to regain optimal performance.

Let's talk about another reality. Not many of us are drag racing our bikes, so scratching every ounce of performance out of it isn't really the goal. Mostly we just want a smooth running reliable bike. In these later cases the extra cost of dyno tuning is not worth it.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:34 AM
funktekk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Other way around. The computer and firmware and autotune stuff etc etc are in the device. The App is just the communication device that lets you set the device or display some gauges.
Really, I assumed it was the other way around since the device has to be connected to a phone in order to do anything. It seems like a waste to have all
The processing power of the phone on tap and not being utilized.

If this is the case it would be nice if features such as the Autotune could be toggled on and continue to run with or without the phone connected.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:51 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Let's talk about another reality. Not many of us are drag racing our bikes, so scratching every ounce of performance out of it isn't really the goal. Mostly we just want a smooth running reliable bike. In these later cases the extra cost of dyno tuning is not worth it.

The true reality is that a dyno and a knowledgeable tuner is going to improve on all areas of the bike running and will spend most of their time in the area that the bike is ridden 90% of the time, and that area id typically from 1500-4000 rpms. This improvement is going to be smoother running and more responsive. Exactly what most people want.

Bang for the buck? After spending $20,000 on a bike and upgrades. I don't see how $400-500 dyno tune is a bad investment. You are paying for the tuners knowledge, the use of the tools in his tool box. Yes, this is his dyno but for something like the FP3. It is also his sensors that is going to read outside of the areas the FP3 will do. His tools to get his sensors into your exhaust, and any other tool he is going to use such as programs or other tuning aids. You are basically paying for the use of all this equipment and knowledge that he has invested in. It actually turns out to be a great bang for the buck.

Before I bore everybody to death with recording speeds of J1850 and CANBus. Just realize they do have limitations, and so does info passed over blue tooth. Of the three, blue tooth is always going to be the choke point.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:20 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Really, I assumed it was the other way around since the device has to be connected to a phone in order to do anything. It seems like a waste to have all
The processing power of the phone on tap and not being utilized.

If this is the case it would be nice if features such as the Autotune could be toggled on and continue to run with or without the phone connected.
Yes really, all of the electronics and programs for autotuning VE tables and flashing maps are in the device.

Also, autotune does continue to run with or without the phone/tablet, until you tell it otherwise. Mind you, a display showing what cells you have hit is rather useful

It doesn't do logging, and it doesn't do connecting to your computer to copy maps and edit or do other stuff offline.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:05 PM
83redgt
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

you guys are great so much knowledge, thats what im talking bout, thanks alot for all the input, i do believe im going to agree with the logic, after what ive paid for the bike the dyno se pro is the way to go for me, i had a plug and play tuner on my car it ran good i thought, then i took it to the dyno and let me tell you then i realized why i put the procharger on it, what a difference it made, thanks again,