General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 85hp too much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:13 PM
Whistler8166
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 85hp too much?

So recently a family member bought me a bike and told me that i was better off getting a big bike (fxstc) rather than buy small 600cc bike and moving up to a bigger bike with in a year or two. (I just want to say that I never rode a motorcycle, besides when I took the basic course on a 250cc bike for the M on my drivers license) so now I have the bike waiting to ride it this summer. I have almost watched all the YouTube videos in how to ride and what to look for (I know that the YouTube can't help me with everything and that's why I'm here to ask.) Also I was told that it has around 85hp and originally had 58hp. I'm not sure what that is in CC. I attempted to look but didn't find anything. I alrdy own the bike so I can't really sell it. So do you think this bike is to much for
A beginner? Or can I still learn on it without killing my self on it.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:31 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Welcome to the H-D Forums from Idaho ! ENJOY !

Old 02-15-2019, 01:02 AM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 548 Likes on 386 Posts

Welcome from Texas. Power is relative how much you twist the throttle.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:08 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

Welcome Whistler,

Many people have gone with a bigger bike first. I would suggest that you practice in a big empty lot that is clean and smooth. Practice slow speed maneuvering, the same ones you did for the course you took. After this you must honestly evaluate your ability and comfort level. If you have any doubts whatsoever, then you should probably start with a small bike or just keep practicing until you are more confident. Remember what you learned and use it. Point your head in your intended direction and GO THERE. If you are still having doubts, you could always rent a road test bike from Eagle Rentals to get you chops and confidence up.

Keep us Posted !

Old 02-15-2019, 03:20 AM
CHHBadkarma
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

If you ever plan on riding interstate make sure it had some legs. Here in southern komifornia you will get run over if you are doing less than 80-85 and even then folks are passing you

not sure if it is that bad where you live, but something to think about

The following 2 users liked this post by CHHBadkarma:
jackddg22 (02-20-2019), JayStronghawk (02-17-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 03:41 AM
critter85
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,497 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Welcome to the Forum

Old 02-15-2019, 06:47 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,690 Likes on 6,937 Posts

Welcome to the forum from South Central PA. You might want to head over to the new members section and introduce yourself. Other than what is stated above, you probably want the motorcycle to undergo a through professional inspection. How old are the tires? Does not matter how much tread is on them if they are more than 6 years old, there are issues. When was the last time the Brake Fluid was Flushed? How many miles on the motorcycle? When was the last time all the fluids were changed? Motor oil, Transmission, and Primary? If it was purchased at a dealer then most of these things were probably accomplished but you ever know. If everything is good to go and you had a MSF course, then find someone who rides Harley's and have them take you to a parking lot and do the MSF start/stop/turn exercises. As with any motorcycle always think every vehicle is out to kill you and they do not see you. Hope all goes well for you.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:11 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridetothehill
Welcome Whistler,

Many people have gone with a bigger bike first. I would suggest that you practice in a big empty lot that is clean and smooth. Practice slow speed maneuvering, the same ones you did for the course you took. After this you must honestly evaluate your ability and comfort level. If you have any doubts whatsoever, then you should probably start with a small bike or just keep practicing until you are more confident. Remember what you learned and use it. Point your head in your intended direction and GO THERE. If you are still having doubts, you could always rent a road test bike from Eagle Rentals to get you chops and confidence up.

Keep us Posted !
Originally Posted by coolbreeze3646
Welcome to the forum from South Central PA. You might want to head over to the new members section and introduce yourself. Other than what is stated above, you probably want the motorcycle to undergo a through professional inspection. How old are the tires? Does not matter how much tread is on them if they are more than 6 years old, there are issues. When was the last time the Brake Fluid was Flushed? How many miles on the motorcycle? When was the last time all the fluids were changed? Motor oil, Transmission, and Primary? If it was purchased at a dealer then most of these things were probably accomplished but you ever know. If everything is good to go and you had a MSF course, then find someone who rides Harley's and have them take you to a parking lot and do the MSF start/stop/turn exercises. As with any motorcycle always think every vehicle is out to kill you and they do not see you. Hope all goes well for you.
Good advice from both of these members.... welcome to the forum!

Old 02-17-2019, 04:24 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CHHBadkarma
If you ever plan on riding interstate make sure it had some legs. Here in southern komifornia you will get run over if you are doing less than 80-85 and even then folks are passing you , not sure if it is that bad where you live, but something to think about

Florida is not much better .. I won't own a Ride that won't cruise easy at 85 MPH and hit 100 Quick if Needed ..

Old 02-17-2019, 04:30 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Florida is not much better .. I won't own a Ride that won't cruise easy at 85 MPH and hit 100 Quick if Needed ..
Same here brudder.. they run 20 over on the super slabs and you best be able to get out of the way or just get it!

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (02-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Is 85hp too much?